+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Come to Canada through Visitor Visa

hemin979

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hi Guys,

My PR is in process since a year ago. My family (wife and 2 sons) live in Canada. I live in my home country and want to apply for TRV to visit them. Do you think i will get the visa and does it affect my PR timeline or status?

I have strong ties in here and will be back until my landing paper is issued.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Hemin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately you will not be given a TRV. You will have to wait to be granted PR since your family are protected people.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Guys,

My PR is in process since a year ago. My family (wife and 2 sons) live in Canada. I live in my home country and want to apply for TRV to visit them. Do you think i will get the visa and does it affect my PR timeline or status?

I have strong ties in here and will be back until my landing paper is issued.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Hemin
There are other conferences with topics more relevant to this query. Probably better to post your query there. This particular part of the site is about PR obligations.

That said, to be clear, there is no rule precluding the grant of a visitor's visa to a Foreign National just because the FN has family in Canada, whether or not there is a PR visa application in process.

So, if your application persuades the visa office officer you will in fact NOT overstay and not work in Canada, there is a good chance you will be given a visa to visit Canada temporarily.

BUT to be clear, that "if" is a rather huge IF unless you have a previous history of travel abroad tending to demonstrate you have in fact not overstayed or otherwise breached immigration rules, AND your present circumstances clearly show your current ties and probable behavior make it unlikely you will overstay. Meeting this burden of proof can be difficult given that you have already expressed the desire AND INTENTION to come to Canada to live by making the PR visa application, and obviously you have ties in Canada constituting an incentive to stay.

Nonetheless, Dual intent can be recognized. That is, Canada recognizes some individuals can have BOTH an intent to move to Canada permanently, if and when authorized to do so, AND at the same time intend to visit Canada temporarily pending the outcome of the application for permanent residence. BUT historically there has been a huge difference in how Canada approaches such individuals who carry a visa-exempt passport, versus those who do not carry a visa-exempt passport. For the latter, historically most reports have indicated it is very difficult to persuade visa-officers favourably . . . again, UNLESS the individual already has a more or less proven track record in conjunction with well-established ongoing ties in the country where the individual is residing.

The only downside in applying is the cost. Thus, if indeed you can demonstrate strong ties likely to bring you back to where you currently live, there is a chance you can get a visitor's visa.

CAVEAT: While I am quite confident these observations continue to be valid, AGAIN there is another part of this site where such matters are discussed in more depth, addressed by more participants among whom there are many who have been paying more recent attention to these matters, and it would be prudent to pose your queries there. In particular, see topics grouped under "Immigration to Canada" and "Temporary Entry to Canada."

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are other conferences with topics more relevant to this query. Probably better to post your query there. This particular part of the site is about PR obligations.

That said, to be clear, there is no rule precluding the grant of a visitor's visa to a Foreign National just because the FN has family in Canada, whether or not there is a PR visa application in process.

So, if your application persuades the visa office officer you will in fact NOT overstay and not work in Canada, there is a good chance you will be given a visa to visit Canada temporarily.

BUT to be clear, that "if" is a rather huge IF unless you have a previous history of travel abroad tending to demonstrate you have in fact not overstayed or otherwise breached immigration rules, AND your present circumstances clearly show your current ties and probable behavior make it unlikely you will overstay. Meeting this burden of proof can be difficult given that you have already expressed the desire AND INTENTION to come to Canada to live by making the PR visa application, and obviously you have ties in Canada constituting an incentive to stay.

Nonetheless, Dual intent can be recognized. That is, Canada recognizes some individuals can have BOTH an intent to move to Canada permanently, if and when authorized to do so, AND at the same time intend to visit Canada temporarily pending the outcome of the application for permanent residence. BUT historically there has been a huge difference in how Canada approaches such individuals who carry a visa-exempt passport, versus those who do not carry a visa-exempt passport. For the latter, historically most reports have indicated it is very difficult to persuade visa-officers favourably . . . again, UNLESS the individual already has a more or less proven track record in conjunction with well-established ongoing ties in the country where the individual is residing.

The only downside in applying is the cost. Thus, if indeed you can demonstrate strong ties likely to bring you back to where you currently live, there is a chance you can get a visitor's visa.

CAVEAT: While I am quite confident these observations continue to be valid, AGAIN there is another part of this site where such matters are discussed in more depth, addressed by more participants among whom there are many who have been paying more recent attention to these matters, and it would be prudent to pose your queries there. In particular, see topics grouped under "Immigration to Canada" and "Temporary Entry to Canada."
Given that his wife has applied for PR for him through family reunification once she has been granted PR as a protected person I can't imagine he can convince someone he is a temporary visitor.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Given that his wife has applied for PR for him through family reunification once she has been granted PR as a protected person I can't imagine he can convince someone he is a temporary visitor.
There are likely many factors which will have influence in how a visitor visa application by @hemin979 will be decided. Too many factors for anyone, including you or me, to reliably offer an opinion about what the outcome will actually be.

We can identify general principles and offer general observations about how certain factors can influence such matters, including illuminating particularly salient factors and generally (as in, NOT in the particular case in question, but typically or commonly) what influence this or that factor tends to have.

There is a huge difference between recognizing general principles and how certain factors can influence IRCC decision-making, in contrast to reaching definitive conclusions as if this or that factor will alone determine the outcome.

While I explicitly cautioned that the query could be better answered in another forum where such matters are the subject of discussion (and I again suggest posing the query in a more appropriate forum), it warrants further cautioning that even in those discussions any declarative prediction of outcome should be considered highly suspect. No one at a site like this can provide a reliable opinion as to the outcome when the outcome depends on numerous variables. Which is to note that even in those forums where participants are more engaged in these particular matters, personal advice (such as to how it will go in an individual case) should generally be dismissed as suspect or, at the least, given very little weight.

Information is far more valuable, in a venue such as this, than judgments or conclusions.

Best to stay close to what is known. What is known is that Foreign Nationals are NOT precluded from obtaining visitor status in Canada just because they have immediate family living in Canada. What is known is that FNs are NOT precluded from obtaining visitor status in Canada EVEN if they also have an intention to stay permanently in Canada, under policies recognizing DUAL INTENT.

BUT it is also well known that FNs who do not carry a visa-exempt passport can find it very difficult to obtain visitor status unless it is well-established they will likely comply with immigration rules (such as leaving Canada timely) and have home-country ties sufficient to strongly support the inference they will in fact leave Canada to return home TIMELY.

Beyond that there are many additional factors which can and likely will have much influence. Too many for anyone here to genuinely offer personal advice as to what the outcome will actually be. Some guessing is sometimes illuminating or even instructive, especially when bolstered by a citation of reasons. But guessing should be easily recognized for what it is, a guess (I do a fair amount of guessing, but hopefully I telegraph that it is indeed a guess, and whether it is an informed guess or a not-so-informed guess).

I referenced an additional factor which could be of significant import for the OP: immigration and travel history. There are additional factors.

In some situations I might suggest consulting a lawyer. But in this situation the cost and effort to make a visa application is not onerous. And a lawyer cannot change the facts. So there is little reason to go to a lawyer about this.

A separate, important factor: There is little or no disadvantage to making the application beyond its cost and the effort.