+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Come back to home country after getting PR card/tax status

ch_mujeeb

Oct 10, 2013
Dear All

I need some urgent help from you as I have to plan my travel accordingly

The visa stamped pon my passport is valid till Sep 2015. I am planning to take my family to Canada to fulfil landing formaility so that I may get my PR card. Now I have few questions and I'l be obliged if we can have some discussion on it

1. I have a plan to go to Vancouver, land there and get PR card and SIN and then return after two months. Then I will remain in my home country for 1.5 years and then will go back to Canada to live there permanently. I have heard from few people that if I remain out of Canada for 6 months and then come back then in that case the immigration authority may even refuse to enter. Is it so?

2. If I get PR card, SIN and Health card - shall I be obliged to any type of tax although I shall not be living in Canada. I am paying tax in my home country as well

3. How shall I keep proof of my stay in Canada in future to prove that I have lived 730 days? Shall I have to show air tickets?

dears, your help on these topics will be very helpful fo rmy future

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ch_mujeeb said:
Dear All

I need some urgent help from you as I have to plan my travel accordingly

The visa stamped pon my passport is valid till Sep 2015. I am planning to take my family to Canada to fulfil landing formaility so that I may get my PR card. Now I have few questions and I'l be obliged if we can have some discussion on it

1. I have a plan to go to Vancouver, land there and get PR card and SIN and then return after two months. Then I will remain in my home country for 1.5 years and then will go back to Canada to live there permanently. I have heard from few people that if I remain out of Canada for 6 months and then come back then in that case the immigration authority may even refuse to enter. Is it so?

2. If I get PR card, SIN and Health card - shall I be obliged to any type of tax although I shall not be living in Canada. I am paying tax in my home country as well

3. How shall I keep proof of my stay in Canada in future to prove that I have lived 730 days? Shall I have to show air tickets?

dears, your help on these topics will be very helpful fo rmy future
1. Don't listen to "people" as long as you reside in Canada for 2 years in the first 5 years after "landing" you preserve your PR status.
2. You won't be eligible for MSP in BC as you would not have resided for 3 months. If you have no Canadian income, then you probably won't be a tax resident, and won't need to file a tax return.
3. Your passport with the stamps.

ch_mujeeb

Oct 10, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. Don't listen to "people" as long as you reside in Canada for 2 years in the first 5 years after "landing" you preserve your PR status.
2. You won't be eligible for MSP in BC as you would not have resided for 3 months. If you have no Canadian income, then you probably won't be a tax resident, and won't need to file a tax return.
3. Your passport with the stamps.
Thank you so much for reply. I was not aware of the fact that I shall not be available for medical benefits. I shall be really obliged if you may also guide me that how can I get insurance for 2 month stay in Vancouver because I think I will not get PR card before 2 months.

And if I stay out of Canada for 1 year and 7 months after getting my PR card, may I know what other benefits (other than health insurance) shall I lose?