+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Combining programs for a Post Graduate Work Permit

xzdeadly

Nov 13, 2015
Hello,

I hope you are all doing well. I just want to clarify my understanding of a certain bulletin regarding the post graduate work permit. (Operational Bulletin Operational Bulletin 194 – June 1, 2010)

I cannot post any links so I'll copy paste a few stuff from there to help you look into my situation:

"Students holding a one‑year graduate degree or diploma from a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary educational/training institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a diploma or degree from an accredited post‑secondary educational/training institution in Canada may qualify for a three‑year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study."

"Example 2: A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit."

So here's my story, as an international student, I graduated from a 4 year undergraduate program at a Canadian university and basically took a year off. I was wondering if I go back to school and do my masters degree for one year (after taking a year off between finishing my bachelors and starting my masters degree), would I be able to combine those two programs and be eligible for a three year post graduate work permit as stated in the bulletin?

Thank you for your precious time.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

xzdeadly said:
Hello,

I hope you are all doing well. I just want to clarify my understanding of a certain bulletin regarding the post graduate work permit. (Operational Bulletin Operational Bulletin 194 – June 1, 2010)

I cannot post any links so I'll copy paste a few stuff from there to help you look into my situation:

"Students holding a one‑year graduate degree or diploma from a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary educational/training institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a diploma or degree from an accredited post‑secondary educational/training institution in Canada may qualify for a three‑year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study."

"Example 2: A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit."

So here's my story, as an international student, I graduated from a 4 year undergraduate program at a Canadian university and basically took a year off. I was wondering if I go back to school and do my masters degree for one year (after taking a year off between finishing my bachelors and starting my masters degree), would I be able to combine those two programs and be eligible for a three year post graduate work permit as stated in the bulletin?

Thank you for your precious time.

Yes you are eligible, provided you apply for PGWP within 90 days of passing the course.

xzdeadly

Nov 13, 2015
Hey guys sorry to bump this up again but it just hit me. The program I'll be doing is masters of engineering which I'll be starting on Sept 2016 and finishing on May 2017, is this still considered a one year program considering I'll complete it in 8 months?

If no one knows the answer could anyone please let me know who I can contact to get an answer about this? Thank you so much.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

xzdeadly said:
Hey guys sorry to bump this up again but it just hit me. The program I'll be doing is masters of engineering which I'll be starting on Sept 2016 and finishing on May 2017, is this still considered a one year program considering I'll complete it in 8 months?

If no one knows the answer could anyone please let me know who I can contact to get an answer about this? Thank you so much.

If passing letter says, 8 months, you will get only 8 months. Technically, two semesters means 1 year of study.

xzdeadly

Nov 13, 2015
J5M said:
Hi,

If passing letter says, 8 months, you will get only 8 months. Technically, two semesters means 1 year of study.
Hey J5M, it's nice to see you again mate.

The masters of engineering program I'll be doing will be done in 2 semesters (one semester in 2016 and one semester in 2017, 10 courses in total). And I'm referring to my specific case, where I completed a 4 year undergraduate engineering program (graduated in May 2015) then took a year off and I'll start the master of engineering program in September 2016 and complete it in May 2017 (two semesters in total). Will the bulletin I'm referring to still work in my favor to get me a 3 year PGWP? (Does the masters of engineering program count as a one‑year diploma even though I technically did it in eight months?)

I appreciate all your help :).

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
Going by the definition you gave below, I think you qualify for a 3 year work permit regardless. Generally a 2 year degree program and 1 year program gets you a 3 year work permit within the specified time.

In your case, you are looking at a 4 year degree program + 8 months. I say that's a 3 year work permit.

BUT, I would call CIC and verify this information correctly. This is not the gospel. I could be a ghost.

"Example 2: A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit."[/i]

xzdeadly

Nov 13, 2015
Papa Bomboy said:
Hello,
Going by the definition you gave below, I think you qualify for a 3 year work permit regardless. Generally a 2 year degree program and 1 year program gets you a 3 year work permit within the specified time.

In your case, you are looking at a 4 year degree program + 8 months. I say that's a 3 year work permit.

BUT, I would call CIC and verify this information correctly. This is not the gospel. I could be a ghost.

"Example 2: A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit."[/i]
Hiya Papa Bomboy!! I hope you're doing great my friend.

Cheers for your input. The main concern I have is that I'm completing the masters of engineering program in 8 months (2 semesters) when those examples and the bulletin state that it should be a "one year" degree. I already sent an email to the immigration advisor at the university I'm planning on going back to (They're off duty right now so i won't be able to hear from them until January).

Do you think the CIC would give me a legit response based on the information I give them if I give them a call?

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I would give cic a call regardless of the reputation of cic call centre agents.

I would call in at the three different times and look for consistencies in the answers i get.

And keep us posted on your progress. I think alot of people would be interested in the response.

All the best my friend and Merry Christmas.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

xzdeadly said:
Hey J5M, it's nice to see you again mate.

The masters of engineering program I'll be doing will be done in 2 semesters (one semester in 2016 and one semester in 2017, 10 courses in total). And I'm referring to my specific case, where I completed a 4 year undergraduate engineering program (graduated in May 2015) then took a year off and I'll start the master of engineering program in September 2016 and complete it in May 2017 (two semesters in total). Will the bulletin I'm referring to still work in my favor to get me a 3 year PGWP? (Does the masters of engineering program count as a one‑year diploma even though I technically did it in eight months?)

I appreciate all your help :).

You are already eligible for 3 years of PGWP even without a Master program. The second program will only help you to file application within 90 days post graduation.

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
I have the exact same situation here, 4 year undergard + 8 month master, did you get your 3 year PGWP?