+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

combined programs for the Post-Graduation Work Permit , first PGWP refused

decin_jms

Aug 8, 2014
Hi, guys

Long story in short, My PGWP (2-year accounting diploma ) was refused because i took part time studies for my last 2 semester : ( :( :( :( (also the notes/reasons i found out on GCMS note)

I was full-time for 24 months according to my official transcript and 8 month as part time.

I was once so frustrated and almost gave up on my dream, but now i received a 2 year study permit and planning to move on. Here are some options that i heard about/ was told.

Option 1: Finish my accounting degree, another 2 years

Option 2: Get a 1 year certificate and apply PGWP combining with the diploma. I do not know the chance here since my first PGWP application using the diploma was refused.

Option 3: Get a 2 year business management diploma by taking another 1 year and combining the credits i got from the accounting diploma.

My questions are,

Is it a good chance to combine them and receive a 2 or 3 year PGWP or a bad result for a 1 year PGWP ?

which option is the best for me here considering the first PGWP refusal ? and who should i call to ask/confirm this ?

Appreciated for any help or suggestions

Please let me know if you have experiences with the similar case

Clarification on the eligibility of combined programs for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program and the last semester of study
Issue

Clarification on the eligibility of combined programs for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) and on full-time versus part-time in the last semester of study.

Background

The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Post-graduation work permits are open work permits, meaning that there are no restrictions on the type of employment performed and no requirement for a job offer prior to applying for a work permit. A work permit (C43 exemption) issued under this program can be valid from 8 months up to a maximum of three years.

Current policy

In order to qualify for this program:

students must have studied full-time at a Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or at a private institution authorized by provincial/territorial statute to confer degrees;
studies must have taken place at a Canadian institution in Canada. Distance learning from outside or inside Canada does not qualify a student for this program. However, the occasional distance course within a non-distance program is allowable;
the student must have completed and passed a full-time course of study or program lasting at least eight months. Whether they received a “certificate”, “diploma” or “degree” is not an issue;
any application for this program must be submitted within 90 days of formal written notification by the institution that they have met the requirements of the course of study or program; and
the student must still be in possession of a valid study permit at the time of application.
Specific eligibility criteria:

if the program of study is two years or more, the student may be eligible for a three-year work permit;
if the program of study is less than two years but at least eight months, the student may be eligible for a work permit lasting for a period equal to the duration of their studies. The validity period of the work permit must not be longer than this period. For example, if the student graduated from an eight-month certificate program, they may only eligible for a work permit of eight months duration.
Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Note: Participating institutions include the following: Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or a private institution authorized by provincial/territorial statue to confer degrees (but only if the applicant received the credential in a program of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution).

Example 1: A student who obtained a one‑year MBA from a provincially or territorially accredited post-secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a one-year diploma, no more than two years before obtaining the MBA, would be allowed to cumulate both degrees and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 2: A student who obtained a one-year diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different participating institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 3: A student attends a foreign post-secondary institution and transfers to a participating institution in Canada in order to complete their studies. Under this scenario, if the qualifying educational credential is issued at an institution outside of Canada, they would not qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. However, if they did receive their educational credential from a participating Canadian institution, they may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit only for the length of time they studied in Canada.

Example 4: A student attends their first year at a private post-secondary educational institution in Canada not eligible under this program but then transfers to a participating post-secondary institution. Under this scenario they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit program but only for the length of time they studied at the participating post-secondary institution.

Source : bulletins 2010 cic website

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My plan is... 1 year certificate+ 2 years diploma and then get 3 years post graduation work permit

May be you can try taking a year certificate and apply the work permit.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

decin_jms said:
Hi, guys

Long story in short, My PGWP (2-year accounting diploma ) was refused because i took part time studies for my last 2 semester : ( :( :( :( (also the notes/reasons i found out on GCMS note)

I was full-time for 24 months according to my official transcript and 8 month as part time.

I was once so frustrated and almost gave up on my dream, but now i received a 2 year study permit and planning to move on. Here are some options that i heard about/ was told.

Option 1: Finish my accounting degree, another 2 years

Option 2: Get a 1 year certificate and apply PGWP combining with the diploma. I do not know the chance here since my first PGWP application using the diploma was refused.

Option 3: Get a 2 year business management diploma by taking another 1 year and combining the credits i got from the accounting diploma.

My questions are,

Is it a good chance to combine them and receive a 2 or 3 year PGWP or a bad result for a 1 year PGWP ?

which option is the best for me here considering the first PGWP refusal ? and who should i call to ask/confirm this ?

Appreciated for any help or suggestions

Please let me know if you have experiences with the similar case

Clarification on the eligibility of combined programs for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program and the last semester of study
Issue

Clarification on the eligibility of combined programs for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) and on full-time versus part-time in the last semester of study.

Background

The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Post-graduation work permits are open work permits, meaning that there are no restrictions on the type of employment performed and no requirement for a job offer prior to applying for a work permit. A work permit (C43 exemption) issued under this program can be valid from 8 months up to a maximum of three years.

Current policy

In order to qualify for this program:

students must have studied full-time at a Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or at a private institution authorized by provincial/territorial statute to confer degrees;
studies must have taken place at a Canadian institution in Canada. Distance learning from outside or inside Canada does not qualify a student for this program. However, the occasional distance course within a non-distance program is allowable;
the student must have completed and passed a full-time course of study or program lasting at least eight months. Whether they received a “certificate”, “diploma” or “degree” is not an issue;
any application for this program must be submitted within 90 days of formal written notification by the institution that they have met the requirements of the course of study or program; and
the student must still be in possession of a valid study permit at the time of application.
Specific eligibility criteria:

if the program of study is two years or more, the student may be eligible for a three-year work permit;
if the program of study is less than two years but at least eight months, the student may be eligible for a work permit lasting for a period equal to the duration of their studies. The validity period of the work permit must not be longer than this period. For example, if the student graduated from an eight-month certificate program, they may only eligible for a work permit of eight months duration.
Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Note: Participating institutions include the following: Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or a private institution authorized by provincial/territorial statue to confer degrees (but only if the applicant received the credential in a program of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution).

Example 1: A student who obtained a one‑year MBA from a provincially or territorially accredited post-secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a one-year diploma, no more than two years before obtaining the MBA, would be allowed to cumulate both degrees and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 2: A student who obtained a one-year diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different participating institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 3: A student attends a foreign post-secondary institution and transfers to a participating institution in Canada in order to complete their studies. Under this scenario, if the qualifying educational credential is issued at an institution outside of Canada, they would not qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. However, if they did receive their educational credential from a participating Canadian institution, they may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit only for the length of time they studied in Canada.

Example 4: A student attends their first year at a private post-secondary educational institution in Canada not eligible under this program but then transfers to a participating post-secondary institution. Under this scenario they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit program but only for the length of time they studied at the participating post-secondary institution.

Source : bulletins 2010 cic website

1. Either repeat the last '2 semesters' as a full time student and apply for a PGWP.
2. Or 'Option 3' if school allows. You will have more than enough credits for a 3 years PGWP. Option 2 won't work.

decin_jms

Aug 8, 2014
J5M said:
Hi,

1. Either repeat the last '2 semesters' as a full time student and apply for a PGWP.
2. Or 'Option 3' if school allows. You will have more than enough credits for a 3 years PGWP. Option 2 won't work.
thanks for the reply ;D

1, how does it work ? I've never heard of this option and "the last 2 semesters" were just 2 courses, and i already received my diploma so i guess it doesn't work ?

The 2nd option is under cic's website, worst case i will be getting a 1 year WP and there is a chance to get 3 years WP and i really want to know the chance there.

HB.Agenda2

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I am stuck in a similar situation, what did you do to extend your stay. I and my other classmates, have been asked to leave the country in a month's time.

Please tell me if there is any solution you know about.

Thanks.

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
I'm in the last semester of my course which is diploma accounting.i have only 3 courses so I have no full time option m going to be part time , is there any problem ?!
And the three courses which are left cn I take them in the night time / evening class ?!