+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

College or University Dilemma Please Help!!

intruderj

Jul 2, 2018
Hey everyone,

So I am an international student from India prepping for my journey to Canada for my bachelors starting in January 2019.
I got accepted to the University of Winnipeg which is situated in the province of Manitoba.

Now upon further research, I found that there are many colleges in the Ontario province, specially in Toronto that offer Bachelors in Commerce and Business and now I'm stuck between what to choose.

My question is I do realize that a University degree is far more prestigious BUT is it worth sacrificing that a little and going to college if it means I'll get to be in a better place/provice? My long term goal is to settle in Canada..

Experts please help!
Thanks. :)

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hey everyone,

So I am an international student from India prepping for my journey to Canada for my bachelors starting in January 2019.
I got accepted to the University of Winnipeg which is situated in the province of Manitoba.

Now upon further research, I found that there are many colleges in the Ontario province, specially in Toronto that offer Bachelors in Commerce and Business and now I'm stuck between what to choose.

My question is I do realize that a University degree is far more prestigious BUT is it worth sacrificing that a little and going to college if it means I'll get to be in a better place/provice? My long term goal is to settle in Canada..

Experts please help!
Thanks. :)
Degrees are relatively expensive as compared to a diploma in Canada (specially for international students). Most of the colleges are popular for UG/PG diplomas. Since your ultimate goal is to settle in Canada, you may go for a two or three year UG diploma course (assuming that you are currently 10+2) and you would be eligible for a three years PGWP at the completion of your studies which should give you enough time to hunt a job and subsequently immigrate. Most of the employers do not care if you have a degree from a prestigious uni or diploma from a college if you able to impress them with your resume and soft skills during the interview. Cheers!

Reactions: Meet Parekh

intruderj

Jul 2, 2018
Degrees are relatively expensive as compared to a diploma in Canada (specially for international students). Most of the colleges are popular for UG/PG diplomas. Since your ultimate goal is to settle in Canada, you may go for a two or three year UG diploma course (assuming that you are currently 10+2) and you would be eligible for a three years PGWP at the completion of your studies which should give you enough time to hunt a job and subsequently immigrate. Most of the employers do not care if you have a degree from a prestigious uni or diploma from a college if you able to impress them with your resume and soft skills during the interview. Cheers!
Yes! Makes a lot of sense.
Also some of these colleges give Bachelor Degrees in Commerce and Business Administration which is the same I'd receive from a University..

Meet Parekh

Aug 30, 2018
Hi guys i hve query. Currently I'm in 4th year of engineering and I'm planning to do 2 years certificate course of global business management from humber college or seneca college as mba is too costly ,so is it advisable to do so?

1. Will i hve any problem in visa as i m shifting from technical to commerce field ?
2. Is the certificate course valuable enough to get me job after course completion in canada ?
3. Will i get a loan for the course as i hve heard the banks give loan only for the degree courses ?

nb92

Aug 30, 2018
Hey! I have a similar question.

How important is it to get a PGWP?
I saw a course in a private college that I liked which has CO-OP as well. I had no clue about co-op but after researching found out we can work during that course.

So I was thinking of joining the private college for the two year course and later joining a public university to complete my studies.

Why I am choosing a private college is because they don't put so many conditions to accept you unlike public colleges who want A grades, Deposits, IELTS and what not.

Am I doing the right thing? Yes I wish to get a PR in the future but right now need to finish of my studies.

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi guys i hve query. Currently I'm in 4th year of engineering and I'm planning to do 2 years certificate course of global business management from humber college or seneca college as mba is too costly ,so is it advisable to do so?

1. Will i hve any problem in visa as i m shifting from technical to commerce field ?
2. Is the certificate course valuable enough to get me job after course completion in canada ?
3. Will i get a loan for the course as i hve heard the banks give loan only for the degree courses ?
1. Shouldn't be a problem, make a strong SOP explaining them why you want to study business
2. Honestly, one would not able able to get a job just because they have completed a certain course/program. As states in my earlier posts, the key lies in your resume, soft skills and interview skills.
3. That's incorrect. You will certainly get a loan for PG/UG programs.

Reactions: Meet Parekh

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hey! I have a similar question.

How important is it to get a PGWP?
I saw a course in a private college that I liked which has CO-OP as well. I had no clue about co-op but after researching found out we can work during that course.

So I was thinking of joining the private college for the two year course and later joining a public university to complete my studies.

Why I am choosing a private college is because they don't put so many conditions to accept you unlike public colleges who want A grades, Deposits, IELTS and what not.

Am I doing the right thing? Yes I wish to get a PR in the future but right now need to finish of my studies.
Did you finally decide what you wanted to do?

I am scared to take any decision!
1. PGWP is important because it is your pathway to Permanent Residency (unless you are able to secure a employer who is offering you a LMIA upon the completion of your program which is quite rare)
2. I don't see a point in studying in a Private College. It would be easier if you study at a Public college, finish your course, get the PGWP, get the PR and then go to University since you save on a lot of money as you will pay domestic student fees.
3. I think you need to do more research on Public colleges. Most of the public colleges do not require high grades, not sure what kind of deposit you are referring to, for IELTS they need 6.0.

Don't be scared, take the first step and you will find your way. Darr ke aage Jeet hai ;)

Meet Parekh

Aug 30, 2018
1. Shouldn't be a problem, make a strong SOP explaining them why you want to study business
2. Honestly, one would not able able to get a job just because they have completed a certain course/program. As states in my earlier posts, the key lies in your resume, soft skills and interview skills.
Thnks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. PGWP is important because it is your pathway to Permanent Residency (unless you are able to secure a employer who is offering you a LMIA upon the completion of your program which is quite rare)
2. I don't see a point in studying in a Private College. It would be easier if you study at a Public college, finish your course, get the PGWP, get the PR and then go to University since you save on a lot of money as you will pay domestic student fees.
3. I think you need to do more research on Public colleges. Most of the public colleges do not require high grades, not sure what kind of deposit you are referring to, for IELTS they need 6.0.

Don't be scared, take the first step and you will find your way. Darr ke aage Jeet hai ;)
Quality of education is, in general, much better at a public college. I would not study in Canada unless your program qualifies for PGWP. The probability of getting a work permit otherwise is low. Public colleges do require slightly higher grades but the admission criteria is very manageable except for some popular programs. If you got bad marks in your home country becoming an international student at this point may not be a good use of funds.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
2. Degrees and qualifications do matter. Getting your engineering license in Canada will open many doors. What doesn't matter when it comes to getting a job is your GPA. Much less opportunities with a PG diploma than an MBA. Your job opportunities will likely be based on your engineering degree. Would also consider a degree that would work well in conjunction with your engineering degree. Project management is another option.

c2navin

Sep 6, 2018
Mumbai, India
Hello All, Newbie to this side of World. Thanks for your reply...

Currently in India with 13 years of Program management experience with MBA in Systems passing in 2008, not a PMP yet :(

I am planning to take the study route and do a PG Diploma in Project Management - 1 year. Couple of questions:

• Which college would you recommend please? 1-2 reasons please
  • Does a PG course in PM ease the process of getting a job in the same domain?
  • I have heard Toronto is the best place as there are lot of IT companies. Should I look for college around Toronto?
Your guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

nb92

Aug 30, 2018
Hi I have a private college which accepted me until they saw my passport copy and said it’ll be difficult to get a visa for indian students so it’s better to apply for public college.. is that true?