+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Collecting EI after Temporary Residency Status has expired

Padjo29

Apr 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I was recently refused a Visa Extension and so my Temporary Residency Status has expired. I am also waiting for my Permanent Residency (Express Entry) application to be processed. I will be applying for a restoration of status in the mean time.

My question is about collecting Employers Insurance (EI) at this moment. I am currently unemployed and collecting the EI benefit. Can I continue collecting EI even through my temporary residency status has expired? Also, do IRCC run a background check on your SIN number as part of the PR (express entry) application to see if you have been collecting EI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

P

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I’m confused . So when you’re collecting EI, and you’re doing your reports , and it asks you if you’re willing and able to work , what do you put ? It’s a yes or a no answer on the Service Canada website .

Padjo29

Apr 22, 2020
I’m confused . So when you’re collecting EI, and you’re doing your reports , and it asks you if you’re willing and able to work , what do you put ? It’s a yes or a no answer on the Service Canada website .
I answer yes for that question.

Now that my Temporary Status has expired I am wondering do I have to stop collecting EI or can I continue? And if I continue will it affect my PR application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I answer yes for that question.

Now that my Temporary Status has expired I am wondering do I have to stop collecting EI or can I continue? And if I continue will it affect my PR application.
Agree with above. You are not legally allowed to work, so if you answer Yes to that question at any point after you lost your status, you are committing fraud. If you have already done this, I strongly suggest you report it and pay back the wrongfully received money.

Padjo29

Apr 22, 2020
I lost my status today so I haven't applied for EI with no status. Thanks for your help on this one

Sky29

Apr 3, 2019
Cool, thanks for your help
Hi dont you have a 90days restoration?? Because if your work permit extension refused while you on EI, it means you have a 90days restoration to apply new work permit. Does it mean you cant continue EI?

Sky29

Apr 3, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was recently refused a Visa Extension and so my Temporary Residency Status has expired. I am also waiting for my Permanent Residency (Express Entry) application to be processed. I will be applying for a restoration of status in the mean time.

My question is about collecting Employers Insurance (EI) at this moment. I am currently unemployed and collecting the EI benefit. Can I continue collecting EI even through my temporary residency status has expired? Also, do IRCC run a background check on your SIN number as part of the PR (express entry) application to see if you have been collecting EI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

P
Hello Im on you situation right now. But I have a 90days restoration to apply new work permit. Im right now im no status because im refused does it mean i cant continue my EI even though i have 90days restoration?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi dont you have a 90days restoration?? Because if your work permit extension refused while you on EI, it means you have a 90days restoration to apply new work permit. Does it mean you cant continue EI?
Think you have misunderstood. You have to apply to receive restoration but that doesn’t mean you’ll receive it within 90 days and that doesn’t give you a new WP.