+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op work permit - tracking hours?

aidzbelty

Feb 10, 2013
I'm still confused with regard to this area..

The website says holders of this type of work permit cannot exceed up to 50% of their total academic hours. What I am wondering is if I started working, how will I be able to track of my total hours? Will CIC be contacting me? Or Service Canada? Or the school I'm enrolled in? Or do I have to keep track of the hours myself?

My school said that I can only work up to a certain number of hours for co-op, but what will happen if I did not realize that I used it all up and still continue working? I can't even start working in the first place because I do not know if I will be penalized if I unknowingly exceeded that. They don't give me much information and they just tell me to contact or visit the websites, but they are not showing anything either.

I am getting frustrated because I have been unemployed for months now because I'm saving up my co-op hours. Anyone could help me with this?

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study. -CIC-

I think this simply means if your coop program is for example a 4 year program (12 academic and work semesters (Winter, Spring and Fall)). You can't work more than 6 semesters. Am I right?

aidzbelty

Feb 10, 2013
Yes it is and thank you for that, but I'm still wondering on who will track my co-op hours - CIC, Service Canada, the school I enrolled in, or just me?

Because it would be great if I could get a job that can sustain up to 20 hours per week, but since mine is healthcare related I may end up getting a casual/on-call job. I'm not sure if I could even count up to that long, so I wanted to know on how or if there is someone to keep track of it.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
aidzbelty said:
Yes it is and thank you for that, but I'm still wondering on who will track my co-op hours - CIC, Service Canada, the school I enrolled in, or just me?

Because it would be great if I could get a job that can sustain up to 20 hours per week, but since mine is healthcare related I may end up getting a casual/on-call job. I'm not sure if I could even count up to that long, so I wanted to know on how or if there is someone to keep track of it.
well ur SIN card will tell them, i mean ur tax returns u know, they wont be able to track u if u work under table, which is not possible in case of coop,so they can track,follow rules