+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op Work Experience as Part of Express Entry Profile

phillyphil

Jun 26, 2012
I am trying to find out if my co-op work experiences while I was in school as a student can be added/considered as part of my working experience in my express entry profile in addition to my working experience (currently) as a worker in Canada. Just to add (if it will better help you understand my question) my work experience has been consistently the same type of jobs (All IT related positions).

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all your answers and help. Thank You.

No Man Left Behind

Star Member
May 19, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
phillyphil said:
I am trying to find out if my co-op work experiences while I was in school as a student can be added/considered as part of my working experience in my express entry profile in addition to my working experience (currently) as a worker in Canada. Just to add (if it will better help you understand my question) my work experience has been consistently the same type of jobs (All IT related positions).

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all your answers and help. Thank You.
If this experience was gained inside Canada, then the answer is straightforwardly NO. If, however, you obtained this experience outside of Canada, it could potentially count in gaining points. This is kind of a gray area of EE system, because the rules surrounding FSW program do not explicitly read your experience must be gained after graduating.

Sunny_ist

Star Member
May 16, 2016
phillyphil said:

I advise you to search the forum before you post. This question is being asked once almost everyday. Co-op does count if it was outside Canada, doesn't count if it was inside Canada.

Encore

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
Work done while on a study permit, co-op or internships that are considered part of your education does not count under EE.
Only work done when on a PGWP or other work permit can count.

phillyphil

Jun 26, 2012
Thank You all for your answers. This answers my question. Next time I will try to look for similar questions before asking my question.

Thank You. :)

Canada053

Jul 18, 2016
You can add it to your work experience for FSW, but never for CEC.

Since I can not post links, google "Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?"

read the answer provided from the CIC help centre

Jcgo9355

Nov 10, 2014
Canada053 said:
You can add it to your work experience for FSW, but never for CEC.

Since I can not post links, google "Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?"

read the answer provided from the CIC help centre
Hi Canada053, I have a quick question for you on this topic. Say, I am working part time outside the school while studying full time and the job is not part of the school's co-op program, in that case, should that experience be counted towards work experience? if not, should that still be entered in the EE profile?

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
Jcgo9355 said:
Hi Canada053, I have a quick question for you on this topic. Say, I am working part time outside the school while studying full time and the job is not part of the school's co-op program, in that case, should that experience be counted towards work experience? if not, should that still be entered in the EE profile?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=519&top=15

You must have gained your work experience after you have graduated. You cannot include work you did while you were a student. You do not have to be working when you apply.

Canada053

Jul 18, 2016
Hi anarsoul, the link you provided refers to Canadian Experience Class, and not the Express entry system in general.

I am talking about applying for FSW under the Express entry system.
Under FSW, the rule for working while on student status is not mentioned, and does not apply

Canada053

Jul 18, 2016
Jcgo9355 said:
Jcgo9355 Yes, but this should only work for FSW and never CEE.
When you create your EE profile and add work experience, it ask if you were studying at the time.
You should answer this truthfully to avoid any cases of fraud.

Jcgo9355

Nov 10, 2014
Canada053 said:
Jcgo9355 Yes, but this should only work for FSW and never CEE.
When you create your EE profile and add work experience, it ask if you were studying at the time.
You should answer this truthfully to avoid any cases of fraud.
Hey Canada053,

Thanks very much for the comment!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Regardless of whether you apply for FSW or CEC, work experience gained while on a study permit IN CANADA will not count for Canadian experience. If you worked as a student outside of Canada, you can use the experience.

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
Canada053 said:
Hi anarsoul, the link you provided refers to Canadian Experience Class, and not the Express entry system in general.

I am talking about applying for FSW under the Express entry system.
Under FSW, the rule for working while on student status is not mentioned, and does not apply
Try this one:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

(7) For the purposes of this section,

(a) a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(b) a period of self-employment or unauthorized work is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(c) the foreign national must have had temporary resident status during their period of work experience and any period of full-time study or training; and
(d) the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience is 30 hours of work per week.
So while it counts for FSW points (you need to get 67 out of 100), you won't get any CRS points for work experience on study permit.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
anarsoul said:
Try this one:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

So while it counts for FSW points (you need to get 67 out of 100), you won't get any CRS points for work experience on study permit.
Those rules are under the "Canadian Work Experience" section, and specifically refers to Canadian work experience. It will not count for FSW points if it is Canadian experience.

If it is foreign work experience, this section does not apply. Foreign work experience as a (foreign) student is not excluded from CRS or FSW points.

The key point is - were you on a Canadian study permit? If so, the work will not count.

Jcgo9355

Nov 10, 2014
jes_ON said:
Those rules are under the "Canadian Work Experience" section, and specifically refers to Canadian work experience. It will not count for FSW points if it is Canadian experience.

If it is foreign work experience, this section does not apply. Foreign work experience as a (foreign) student is not excluded from CRS or FSW points.

The key point is - were you on a Canadian study permit? If so, the work will not count.
Hi Jes_ON,

I am afraid I am a bit confused, could you please kindly help me clarifying the following questions?

1. If the experience doesn't count towards CRS points, do we still enter it in the online profile? the reason why I have this question is because, by the sound of it, the experience not qualifying for CRS points shouldn't need to be entered since they create no value (no CRS points); however, in the work experience section of the online profile, the CIC does provide the option of indicating an experience was gained while studying full time which makes me think they do want to know what's job we did while studying; hence, the experiences gained while studying full time should be entered.
2. I understand why you said the experience doesn't count according to the Ministerial Instructions; but what happens when the experience was gained during a scheduled break when students are no studying and are allowed to work full time? assuming the works performed was not part of a co-op, internship or apprenticeship relating to one's student status in Canada?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Justin