+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"co-op terms and apprenticeship" were not a thing when I was working while studying, what now?

aruncnn

May 26, 2020
I worked from early 2013 to mid 2014 in India while I was studying, which met all but one of the requirements for FSW in the CIC website.
It say "This includes co-op terms and apprenticeships.", but co-op and apprenticeships were not a thing when I was studying. I used to work after hours and weekends like few of my friends and that was it. I remember taking an exception letter from my principal sometime during that period. How do I address the co-op requirement in my response to ITA?

Website: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Thank you!

cchk331

Jun 5, 2020
I worked from early 2013 to mid 2014 in India while I was studying, which met all but one of the requirements for FSW in the CIC website.
It say "This includes co-op terms and apprenticeships.", but co-op and apprenticeships were not a thing when I was studying. I used to work after hours and weekends like few of my friends and that was it. I remember taking an exception letter from my principal sometime during that period. How do I address the co-op requirement in my response to ITA?

Website: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Thank you!
What do you mean it wasnt a thing?

aruncnn

May 26, 2020
What do you mean it wasnt a thing?
Thank you for your response, It ( the "Co-Op Agreements") is not followed, my collage knew that I was working while studying along with a couple of my classmates. No body had an objection to it. I once had to take a permission letter from university but that was it. Co-Op agreements are generally not followed in my country at least when I worked. Any one can work while studying without having to get a co-op agreement as long as they are meeting minimum attendance to classes. In cases someone is not meeting the minimum attendance, they had to pay additional fee to university or collage which can be avoided if you can get a permission letter.

By wasn't a thing, I mean it is not followed in my country in 2013 and 2014, It is extremely unusual. My university did not have any systems to support co-op agreements. In fact, I knew universities in foreign countries have systems work with companies but I never heard of the term 'co-op' until I moved out of India.

Last edited:

aruncnn

May 26, 2020
I’m not sure what exactly you are asking, but for foreign work experience you can add skilled work experience while being a full time student. There is no requirement for this to be an internship, it can just be a part-time job you held. But it must have been skilled.
Thank you!!