+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closing my permanent residence status

Arbi

Feb 14, 2019
Hello,

My first post here. Thanks for your help.

I attained my PR status in 2011 (after having worked there for 4 years). I was very greatful for the opportunity and was initially hoping to settle and live there for the rest of my life. However, things don't usually go as planned. I had to move to another country already in 2012 so I could barely make use of my PR status unfortunately. I was always under (probably false) impression that if my PR card expires that would be an automatic expiry of my PR status.

I haven't been back in Canada since 2012 but I am wondering if it is worth going through a process to officially stop my permanent residence. I want to prevent any problems should I one day want to come back as a tourist.

Can someone please point me in the direction what to do in order for CIC to change my status officially?

Thank you very much.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The only problem you would have would be if you want travel back via plane you would need a PRTD which would highlight your failure to meet the residency obligation leading to either immigration starting to revoke your PR status or being asked to renounce on a voluntary basis. Once revoked or renounced this would allow you to apply for either a TRV or if visa exempt an ETA.

Of course the above does not apply if you were to come back via the US land border where as a PR you are still entitled to enter the country and may or may not be reported for failing the RO.

Usual advice here is to not renounce PR status until absolutely necessary given you can never predict the future and there are no implications of keeping PR status dormant even having failed the RO and living outside Canada. People have been on here with PR status from 30 years ago only finding out still in place when applying for an ETA but having no impact until that point.

Anyway is your decision as to what suits you and you can apply to renounce using link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

Arbi

Feb 14, 2019
Thank you very much for the great reply. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I love the idea to keep the PR status untouched to have at least some sort of chance to go back to Canada as a PR in the future. If there's no harm in keeping it, I'll keep it for now.

I am only wondering if keeping my PR status untouched for now would have any implications taxation wise down the line. The last tax return I filed was for the years 2014 after disposal of my RRSP and TFSA. I got a tax refund and since then never had any financial dealings in Canada and therefore have not filed.

How would you go about this? I am thinking of informing CRA that I am permanently out of Canada. Do I have any obligation to inform CRA about my foreign address?

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018