+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed WP, laid off from Job, RPRF paid, COPR yet to arrive,.... need advice..

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Hello Seniors

My friend is seeking for an advice on his current situation, he is on a closed work permit valid until Nov 2015 (issued Nov 2013), unfortunately, due to lack of projects, he is laid off within 2 months of the engagement, he is also waiting for his PR (paid RPRF 10 days back, medicals done, biodata sent, PCC sent as well), can he apply for BOWP now so that he could work for other companies? will he get an approved BOWP? or should he wait for his PR which might take up to a month to arrive.

He needs funds and I can only help him so much...... Sad

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
He can apply for a BOWP but it's a gamble on whether he'd be approved as he has over 4 months left on his work permit.
I was in a similar situation - I applied for BOWP and then took my pr AOR and my BOWP acknowledgement to Service Ontario and was approved for EI. In the meantime my PR has come through.
Your friend is so close to PR that it's probably more sensible to hang on until it comes through

faiyaz.ally

Star Member
Jan 10, 2014
BigBee said:
Hello Seniors

My friend is seeking for an advice on his current situation, he is on a closed work permit valid until Nov 2015 (issued Nov 2013), unfortunately, due to lack of projects, he is laid off within 2 months of the engagement, he is also waiting for his PR (paid RPRF 10 days back, medicals done, biodata sent, PCC sent as well), can he apply for BOWP now so that he could work for other companies? will he get an approved BOWP? or should he wait for his PR which might take up to a month to arrive.

He should be receiving Passport request sometime this week. Just hold on. I would suggest, once he gets the passport request, go to buffalo and get the passport stamped (if he has the US Visa) instead of mailing it to the embassy. This way he will get the stamping done sna dlanding on the same day. He will save about 2 weeks. I guess, you can then apply for EI.

dreams2013

Jan 30, 2013
faiyaz.ally said:
He should be receiving Passport request sometime this week. Just hold on. I would suggest, once he gets the passport request, go to buffalo and get the passport stamped (if he has the US Visa) instead of mailing it to the embassy. This way he will get the stamping done sna dlanding on the same day. He will save about 2 weeks. I guess, you can then apply for EI.
Hi Faiyaz

I am in Seattle and expecting PPR this week. Could you please provide more details on how the stamping done in US without sending the passport to Ottawa? Can I do the visa stamping in Seattle Canadian embassy?

Thanks,
Dreams

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys, he is in Vancouver and which is the nearest VISA office for him?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
faiyaz.ally said:
Buffalo visa office is closed.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/buffalo.asp

Where is your friend's PR file being processed?

I think he will need to wait for the PPR.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
BigBee said:
Hello Seniors

If he applies for the BOWP, it IS a gamble, but he should include a letter of explanation (he's been laid off and needs to find a new job).

There's no guarantee that his PR application will be finalized quickly. Over the past few years, we've noticed a pattern of slow-down between end of January and March (the end of the government fiscal year) - when quotas are filled and before new quotas are established for the coming fiscal year. Hopefully this won't be the case for him, but...

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
He has another question, does applying BOWP will anyway impact the PR process? Also, if BOWP is refused on the grounds that the PR is approved and is awaiting PPR, will he get the money back?

sehgal2379

Nov 16, 2013
He can apply for BOWP and he will surely get one and it is not going to affect his PR Process. Acc to BOWP rule if anybdys WP is expiring and that person has AOR, he can apply for BOWP. So he is Good to apply

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
sehgal2379 said:
He can apply for BOWP and he will surely get one and it is not going to affect his PR Process. Acc to BOWP rule if anybdys WP is expiring and that person has AOR, he can apply for BOWP. So he is Good to apply
The problem is WP is NOT expiring and is valid until Nov 2015, hence his confusion.

bpraneeth

Nov 20, 2013
Hi BigBee,

I would like to suggest out of my experience to please ask your friend not to apply for BOWP as he is very close to get the PPT request. He can apply for jobs once he gets his PR.
And ofc, he can't apply for BOWP as his wp is until Nov 2015. I agree with jes_On as it would delay his PR processing (which is just 2 steps far) at this stage.

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for your suggestion bpraneeth... will let him know and see if I can give him some moral support.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bpraneeth said:
I agree with jes_On as it would delay his PR processing (which is just 2 steps far) at this stage.
I didn't say that. Applying for the BOWP will have no impact on the PR application. I would actually recommend applying for the BOWP, because I think there's a good chance that PR won't be finalized until the new fiscal year (April).

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
jes_ON said:
I didn't say that. Applying for the BOWP will have no impact on the PR application. I would actually recommend applying for the BOWP, because I think there's a good chance that PR won't be finalized until the new fiscal year (April).
Hi jes_ON, he is in BC and has already paid RPRF, his confusion is whether to apply BOWP or not, the statement that his PR might not be finalized until April would scare him for sure......

I will ask him to apply for BOWP ASAP.... do you think he will get it?

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Seniors, Need your advice again, my friend would like to know if his current WP or his stay could get affected if he applies for BOWP (the validity is until Nov 2015)

He checked CIC website for applying WP and the result is to apply for IMM5710E (Application to extend or change the stay) with no provision for BOWP, I suggested him to apply for IMM5710 for BOWP. Am I right?

Your advice would be of immense help to him.... please suggest.