+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit to OWP

vin10

Mar 29, 2022
Good day to everyone. I’d like to ask question regarding OWP/BOWP. I recently received and submitted my PR application under CEC pathway. I have 2 years work permit visa (under LMIA).

My question is, I just want to know if I can apply for BOWP even though my permit will expire in September 2024. Won't this changes affect my PR application? since my plan is to apply in the same job as before that gave me the qualification to apply for PR? Thank you

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Good day to everyone. I’d like to ask question regarding OWP/BOWP. I recently received and submitted my PR application under CEC pathway. I have 2 years work permit visa (under LMIA).

My question is, I just want to know if I can apply for BOWP even though my permit will expire in September 2024. Won't this changes affect my PR application? since my plan is to apply in the same job as before that gave me the qualification to apply for PR? Thank you
Yes that would definitely raise some questions. It is not that the closed work permit is going to expire, you have a year left but you want to switch to an open one. This suggests that you intend to leave that LMIA employer. Did you claim points for that employer? More than likely yes since it is a closed permit. It may raise questions in the PR application process. I can't say what would be IRCC's response but I suggest to never give them a reason to reject the application.