Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Gopi2017 said:
Hi All,

I am in weird situation where my employer has filed for Closed work permit and i will be moved to Canada once CIC approves my application.
My query is incase i loose my job due to project closure in future after coming to Canada, will i have to go back to my home country as i no longer have a job?.
Also what is eligibility criteria for me to switch to open work permit in case the project i am working is closed.
Reason for raising these concerns even before coming to canada is the current project prospects doesn't look good and i am having fear of ending up with no job once project closes.

Could you please suggest is it worth risk and also chances of getting open work permit.

Thanks,
Gopi
You can remain in Canada if you lose your job as long as your work permit is valid. However you cannot start a new job without a new LMIA and new work permit.

As of now, you don't qualify for an open work permit and this would not be an option if you lose your job in Canada. To work for another employer, you would need to wait until your new employer obtains an approved LMIA so that you could then apply for a new closed work permit.

You would only qualify for an open work permit if you meet one of the specific OWP criteria (like having a spouse in Canada who is studying as an International Student at a qualified post secondary institution or having applied for PR and received confirmation that CIC has accepted your application).

jjdaniel

Feb 8, 2018
Hello all,

I'm currently on a CWP LMIA exempt as a Skilled Worker in Québec through an intra-company transfer. We did it for 12 months, last December so I have about 9 months left.

Can someone tell me exactly when I should start working on renewing my permit?
Is there an option where I could apply for Permanent Residency after the 12 months working here as a skilled worker?
Is there a way to convert my permit into an Open Work Permit or getting a new sponsor in Quebec?

Just trying to weigh my options before thinking about renewing my permit for the first time.