+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Close/Open Work Permit Under Francophone Mobility (For a Graphic Designer & Fine Artist)

marigoldcolor

Dec 25, 2023
Hello,
I intend to find a job as Graphic Designer under the Francophone Mobility Program that leads me to a closed work permit. But I'm also a Fine Artist and want to exhibit my Artwork and probably sell them through galleries etc .. ( I mean after work, week-and, free time ..), while working for my employer.
- Am'I allowed to do so, with the closed work permit I would get ?
- Or should I apply for an open work permit ?

Many thanks !

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
I intend to find a job as Graphic Designer under the Francophone Mobility Program that leads me to a closed work permit. But I'm also a Fine Artist and want to exhibit my Artwork and probably sell them through galleries etc .. ( I mean after work, week-and, free time ..), while working for my employer.
- Am'I allowed to do so, with the closed work permit I would get ?
- Or should I apply for an open work permit ?

Many thanks !
If you want to exhibit, sell your work it then it cannot be in Canada and cannot sell to Canadian clients.
How are you eligible for an open work permit? What country.

marigoldcolor

Dec 25, 2023
If you want to exhibit, sell your work it then it cannot be in Canada and cannot sell to Canadian clients.
How are you eligible for an open work permit? What country.
I'm in Morocco right now, I'm negotiating a job offer from an employer in BC as Graphic Designer. I was sure that when I get my closed work permit under the Francophone Mobility, It couldn't stop me selling my artwork while working for an employer.
So your answer is: I can't sell any art when working for an employer under a closed WP, isn't it ?
If so, what's the solution ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm in Morocco right now, I'm negotiating a job offer from an employer in BC as Graphic Designer. I was sure that when I get my closed work permit under the Francophone Mobility, It couldn't stop me selling my artwork while working for an employer.
So your answer is: I can't sell any art when working for an employer under a closed WP, isn't it ?
If so, what's the solution ?
Correct. You can only work in Canada for your employer. Selling art is making money and you are not on an open work permit. You can sell your art but not within Canada. The solution is that you can continue to sell your art but it must be shipped outside Canada. You cannot sell it within Canada. You can exhibit outside Canada.

Work with the gallery, and you may be able to apply for a work permit to show your work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/arts.html

Last edited:

marigoldcolor

Dec 25, 2023
Thank you for your prompt reply.
If I'm on a closed WP with a specific employer, and I find a gallery or an agent that is ok to sell my paintings,
- Can I get an additional WP by showing my contract with the gallery/agent?
- Would that additional WP be closed or oppen?
- And as an option, how to get a Self-employed permit as Artist + closed work permit as Designer at the same time?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
- Can I get an additional WP by showing my contract with the gallery/agent? You can try if gallery is willing to go through the process.
- Would that additional WP be closed or oppen? Closed
- And as an option, how to get a Self-employed permit as Artist + closed work permit as Designer at the same time?
If you want to immigrate, there is a self employed program. Processing takes years and few are selected. You have to prove that you can be self employed without working for an employer. You have to prove that you have been working for many years as a self employed artist. Your work must be world class and benefit Canadian culture. A closed work permit is only an option with an employer, not as self employed.