+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clergy - moving to and/or settling in Canada as clergy

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
Is there a pathway for a person who is an ordained member of the clergy to move to and settle in Canada? The person in question is currently a practising priest, but past the age of retirement in most countries (70). He would be accompanied by his wife, but no other dependants.

I understand that such a person can come to Canada on a temporary work permit, but I was wondering if there is a longer-term settlement that the person would be eligible for.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there a pathway for a person who is an ordained member of the clergy to move to and settle in Canada? The person in question is currently a practising priest, but past the age of retirement in most countries (70). He would be accompanied by his wife, but no other dependants.

I understand that such a person can come to Canada on a temporary work permit, but I was wondering if there is a longer-term settlement that the person would be eligible for.
Very unlikely to be approved at 70. Are they a senior member of a large organized religion? This sounds more like a plan to retireme in Canada.

secret.simon

Jun 10, 2017
Are they a senior member of a large organized religion?
Not senior. The approximate equivalent of a parish priest (currently responsible for the spiritual needs of a small community of about 50 people forming a specific parish).

This sounds more like a plan to retireme in Canada.
Well, it broadly is. The idea is for him to move to Canada and continue to work in that field (of spiritual and liturgical work) as required, but on a part-time basis.

Obviously, given his age, his wife and he will have private health insurance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not senior. The approximate equivalent of a parish priest (currently responsible for the spiritual needs of a small community of about 50 people forming a specific parish).

Well, it broadly is. The idea is for him to move to Canada and continue to work in that field (of spiritual and liturgical work) as required, but on a part-time basis.

Obviously, given his age, his wife and he will have private health insurance.
You can certainly try but it would be a full-time position for a limited time period maybe 2 years. If you have a work permit you get access to the health system. Honestly think the chances of approval are very low.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Short answer is no - there really isn't. Your age will prevent you from qualifying for any economic immigration program. Best you can hope for is a temporary work permit.