+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarifications needed while filling Study Permit

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
Hi,

I was in process of applying study permit( Non SDS) along with my family members(SOWP + childs study permit)

1. While filling i don't see any place to upload my previous educational transcripts or employment details. I see there is a place for client information. I thought only SOP need to upload here or is it I need to upload my previous education certificates + employment details +CV/Resume + SOP (all in 1 document) and upload?
  2. Is it better to get upfront medical and upload the document or I see there is a 'Request for Medical' form which need to fill and wait for them to request? Main doubt is, is that need to fill the Request for Medical form or not?
  3. For Spouse - I selected the reason for visiting as 'Work with an Open Work Permit'. Is that correct option in order to get her SOWP?
  4. For Kids - I selected the reason for visiting as 'Study more than 6 months'. Is that correct option in order to get their study permit?
Kindly help to clarify my queries. Thanks.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
1. Put them all in your client information and make sure it is no bigger than 4 MB (2 MB if you apply via portal). Use pdf compressor (ilovepdf, acrobat, smallpdf etc.) if needed;
2. Time-wise it is better to answer that you have done an upfront medical exam and submit the medical information sheet with your application (put it in your client information if there is no separate port for it).
3. Yes
4. Not sure. But I guess you can apply for an open study permit for your kids without LOA or just visitor visa and apply for study permit in Canada.

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
1. Put them all in your client information and make sure it is no bigger than 4 MB (2 MB if you apply via portal). Use pdf compressor (ilovepdf, acrobat, smallpdf etc.) if needed;
2. Time-wise it is better to answer that you have done an upfront medical exam and submit the medical information sheet with your application (put it in your client information if there is no separate port for it).
3. Yes
4. Not sure. But I guess you can apply for an open study permit for your kids without LOA or just visitor visa and apply for study permit in Canada.
Hi,

Thanks for your clarification.

1. As per the police certificate is concerned, do I need to get one(including family members) and upload under client information or not required to get police certificate? I dont see any sections which requests for police certificate. So am not sure if need to get or not. Kindly advise.

2. Is it we need to provide with notary for all the documents that we upload(ie. educational certificates, work experience certificates)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Hi,

1. As per the police certificate is concerned, do I need to get one(including family members) and upload under client information or not required to get police certificate? I dont see any sections which requests for police certificate. So am not sure if need to get or not. Kindly advise.

2. Is it we need to provide with notary for all the documents that we upload(ie. educational certificates, work experience certificates)?

Thanks.
Hi,

Thanks.
1. For police certificate, check this page How to get a police certificate – Immigration and citizenship - Canada.ca
I recommend submitting it under client information if it's not hard to get. Some people get approved without police certificate, while some are requested to submit one before final decision is made.

2. I applied from China and I can only share what we do here. Most people notarize important documents like police certificate and proof of relationship (kinship and marriage).
For other documents you mentioned, if they are issued in English or French, the original documents will do. If not, see this link Citizenship applications: Translation of documents - Canada.ca
Noted that some people translate documents themselves and get through, but I don't recommend it.

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
1. For police certificate, check this page How to get a police certificate – Immigration and citizenship - Canada.ca
I recommend submitting it under client information if it's not hard to get. Some people get approved without police certificate, while some are requested to submit one before final decision is made.

2. I applied from China and I can only share what we do here. Most people notarize important documents like police certificate and proof of relationship (kinship and marriage).
For other documents you mentioned, if they are issued in English or French, the original documents will do. If not, see this link Citizenship applications: Translation of documents - Canada.ca
Noted that some people translate documents themselves and get through, but I don't recommend it.
Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

Need one more clarification that i came across while filling study permit. Kindly advice.

1. Have you visited or lived in any one of the designated countries for 6 consecutive months in the last year?

When i click the details link for this question, it goes to medical exam page and displayed country lists. I am in singapore. For medical exam it shows yes. In that case i need to answer yes or my understanding is wrong for the above question?

Thanks.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

Need one more clarification that i came across while filling study permit. Kindly advice.

1. Have you visited or lived in any one of the designated countries for 6 consecutive months in the last year?

When i click the details link for this question, it goes to medical exam page and displayed country lists. I am in singapore. For medical exam it shows yes. In that case i need to answer yes or my understanding is wrong for the above question?

Thanks.
Your understanding is correct. That question is to determine whether you need medical exam, and for Singapore the answer is yes.
If you are not sure, see Find out if you need a medical exam - Canada.ca

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
Your understanding is correct. That question is to determine whether you need medical exam, and for Singapore the answer is yes.
If you are not sure, see Find out if you need a medical exam - Canada.ca
Thanks.

Shall advice on below query.

I have my sibling already in canada. In that case while say i fill my SOP, i explain specifically about this or not required. Anywaz under family information form there is a section for this. My doubt was apart from that form, is it better to explain about this in SOP also. Why am asking about this was because while i go through this forum, there were some members said they got refusal due to ties in canada. So not sure if i need to better explain beforehand in SOP or not.

Thanks.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Thanks.

Shall advice on below query.

I have my sibling already in canada. In that case while say i fill my SOP, i explain specifically about this or not required. Anywaz under family information form there is a section for this. My doubt was apart from that form, is it better to explain about this in SOP also. Why am asking about this was because while i go through this forum, there were some members said they got refusal due to ties in canada. So not sure if i need to better explain beforehand in SOP or not.

Thanks.
I'm not sure about this..., but I think the SOP should always focus on your study in Canada. If your sibling won't financially help you (providing money or housing etc.) during your stay in Canada, you are not required to mention them in your SOP.

And yes, lack of ties to your home country or strong ties to Canada can lead to a rejection. So If I were you, I will have a section in my SOP explaining my ties to Singapore, such as my property, responsibilities and job opportunities in Singapore.

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
I'm not sure about this..., but I think the SOP should always focus on your study in Canada. If your sibling won't financially help you (providing money or housing etc.) during your stay in Canada, you are not required to mention them in your SOP.

And yes, lack of ties to your home country or strong ties to Canada can lead to a rejection. So If I were you, I will have a section in my SOP explaining my ties to Singapore, such as my property, responsibilities and job opportunities in Singapore.
My sibling is not financing. However, still not sure if need to provide any details in SOP about the connections in canada or not. . Might be I will try to open a separate thread specific to this question and see if any other member reply any advice on this based on their own experience.

Thanks.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
My sibling is not financing. However, still not sure if need to provide any details in SOP about the connections in canada or not. . Might be I will try to open a separate thread specific to this question and see if any other member reply any advice on this based on their own experience.

Thanks.
That will be the best. Good luck with your application :)

lokidoki

Star Member
Aug 20, 2021
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2021

Thanks.
i am not in the same situation, but i have seen a lot of rejections due to ties in Canada, especially, when the SOP is weak.

It is always highly advised to address ALL of the potential points of concern from visa officer's side and be proactive and cover it in your SOP.
in your case, I would focus on ties to your home country more, but mention about your sister in Canada, to show that you are not trying to conceal this fact, and you indeed have ties in Canada, but have a bigger motive to return to your home country, as you have bigger ties there.

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
i am not in the same situation, but i have seen a lot of rejections due to ties in Canada, especially, when the SOP is weak.

It is always highly advised to address ALL of the potential points of concern from visa officer's side and be proactive and cover it in your SOP.
in your case, I would focus on ties to your home country more, but mention about your sister in Canada, to show that you are not trying to conceal this fact, and you indeed have ties in Canada, but have a bigger motive to return to your home country, as you have bigger ties there.
okok.. noted thanks.

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
That will be the best. Good luck with your application :)
Hi,

Help to clarify on below query.

while filling, there is a section under Optional Documents section 'Schedule 1 - Application for Temporary resident Visa Made outside Canada(IMM5257)'. This form is not required to fill or you know for what purpose this need to be filled? As mentioned am applying study permit along with my family members. This optional form is present in all the section.

Thanks.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Hi,

Help to clarify on below query.

while filling, there is a section under Optional Documents section 'Schedule 1 - Application for Temporary resident Visa Made outside Canada(IMM5257)'. This form is not required to fill or you know for what purpose this need to be filled? As mentioned am applying study permit along with my family members. This optional form is present in all the section.

Thanks.
Hi,

If I remember correctly, “immi 5257 schedule 1” is only required if you answered yes to questions 3-6 in the immi 1294 form.

Check 1294 again and you will find the explanation there.

However, if your answers to these questions are all no, you can still fill out schedule 1. It won’t affect your application.

Reactions: RamSatt

sjr9386

May 16, 2022
Hi,

If I remember correctly, “immi 5257 schedule 1” is only required if you answered yes to questions 3-6 in the immi 1294 form.

Check 1294 again and you will find the explanation there.

However, if your answers to these questions are all no, you can still fill out schedule 1. It won’t affect your application.
Ok noted.

Under spouse open workpermit section, I see there are items for Purpose of Travel(Other) and Client information. May I know what need to upload under these 2 items. Is it simply need to explain about my spouse credentials or what? help to advise.

Thanks.