+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification over Counting Canadian experience for CEC-Express entry

Nov 24, 2015
Hi.
I received my eligibility to graduate letter in October 2014 after which I applied for and received my Postgraduate work permit in November 2014. However, I received my degree in February 2015 (date on transcripts and degree: Degree awarded- February 4, 2015). Now, I received an Invitation to apply in Express entry based on one year Canadian work experience (November 2014-November 2015) over my PGWP. I am not sure from when does CIC counts Canadian experience as in my case My official degree has graduation date as FEB 2015 while I have been working on PGWP- since NOV. 2014. This happened because I met all the requirements to graduate in late September and the very next date for declaring graduation was only in Feb. As i had already completed all the needed requirements for qualification, University gave me eligibility to graduate letter over which I was able to apply and get PGWP in Nov. 2014. Though I received degree in winter convocation (feb 2015). Please someone guide me how should I calculate my Canadian 1 year work experience-
a) from Nov 2014 to Nov 2015 - based on the issue date of PGWP, or
b) Feb 2015 to Nov 2015- Date of degree awarded as shown on final transcripts and degree.

I need to accept / decline y ITA accordingly plzz help!!!!

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The way I read the requirements; the experience you accumulated counts after you graduated as the receipt of the degree qualification formally certifies that you have the skills to work in your field. The way I see it you have 2 options:

1) Write a LOE indicating that you completed your studies prior to starting work and the 'graduation ceremony' was a formality. There is a 50:50 chance that the VO will accept this.

2) Decline the offer and wait for another ITA.

If it was me I'd go with Option 2 simply because its safer. Do you have qualifications in another field and related 1+ year Work Experience in that field in your home country? If yes you may qualify for the FSW program?