+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on Vacation Time

Xiox231

Jan 16, 2019
Hello.
My last few jobs in Canada were very clear and flexible when it came to Vacations, and I've also worked in Germany for a few years where I had 30 days of paid vacation that I could take any time I wanted to, for example 2 days one week, 5 days on another, up until all 30 days are used, and that's how my previous Canadian jobs worked as well, though it was only 10 days.

Now I have just become entitled to vacation time in my current job, which says I get "2 rotations" of paid vacation. 1 rotation for me is Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and every other Wednesday (12 hour shifts), so I get about half a week for my weekend, by contract I am not required to ever work Thursday, Friday, or Saturday as it's my designated weekend. So I am technically only getting about a week of actual vacation time, but they justify it by saying I'm technically not at work for 2 weeks of the year, so that's my 2 weeks of vacation, even though that's including my regular weekend.

This is completely bizarre to me since I've never even heard of a company working this way before, but they've been around for a log time and have apparently been doing it this way all the time, so I guess it's legal? Really doesn't seem like it.