+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on Transit Visa

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am travelling to Toronto on 29th Aug (through BA). My first halt is heathrow (around 2 hours) and second halt is JFK, New York (halt is 10 hours). I need clarification if I would require transit visa even if I don't intend to go out of JFK Airport. Can't I wait in airport for my flight to toronto without transit visa?

Please help me urgently as I would have to apply for transit visa if its required.

Regards,

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
rajibsam said:
I am travelling to Toronto on 29th Aug (through BA). My first halt is heathrow (around 2 hours) and second halt is JFK, New York (halt is 10 hours). I need clarification if I would require transit visa even if I don't intend to go out of JFK Airport. Can't I wait in airport for my flight to toronto without transit visa?

Please help me urgently as I would have to apply for transit visa if its required.

Regards,
what is ur nationality?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you'll require a transit visa in JFK even if you're gonna stay for your transit in the airport. You'll need to apply for a transit visa from the US consulate in India by applying an online application and book an appointment. It will cost about $150.

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'll not be able to board the flight from Heathrow without a visa.

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Doda. May be instead I would check with BA if they can provide direct flight from Heathrow to Toronto.

Regards,
Rajib Samanta

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I booked a direct BA flight to Montreal. It's daily, so there should be a direct one to Toronto. I'm not quite sure about transit visas in Heathrow.

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
If you're flying out on the 29th Aug, I don't think you have enough time to get a visa interview appointment. And, even if you get an appointment on time and should they decide to grant you a visa, they will retain your passport to stamp it and then you'd have to wait another 3-5 working days before the passport is delivered to you.
So, you will pay visa fees, need to put together umpteen documents, attend the interview, and then wait for the passport delivery (IF they decide to grant the visa, which is a big if)! Moreover, if they DON'T grant you the visa, then how are you going to change your flight plans at the very last minute???

Moral of the story is that AVOID flying via the US and book a simpler flight with just 1 layover anywhere in continental Europe or the UK. It's not like there're no other flight options for Toronto! I mean...it's Toronto, not Timbaktu!

garyforu1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Delhi, India
Visa Office......
Delhi CHC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-25-2013
Hi I don't think u need the Transit Visa, check it on Google, I am sure you will get the response...

If you cant then send me a message I ll send you a link by which you will get to know that being an Indian Citizen you do not need the Transit Visa and also the same can be verified by the Airline, I am sure they will give you the correct Information...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

garyforu1 said:
Hi I don't think u need the Transit Visa, check it on Google, I am sure you will get the response...

If you cant then send me a message I ll send you a link by which you will get to know that being an Indian Citizen you do not need the Transit Visa and also the same can be verified by the Airline, I am sure they will give you the correct Information...
Yeah right. The guy is an Indian citizen, to transit the US he needs a transit visa, end of story.

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
An Indian citizen DOES need a transit visa for the US to even board the flight going to the US!!! It's as simple as that! I have had 2 friends who've learnt it the hard way!
One of the my friends was flying Vancouver-Toronto-NewYork-Delhi....and he wasn't allowed to board the flight at Toronto! He had to make a new booking for Delhi and had to spent an entire day in Toronto.
Another guy I know was flying Delhi-Paris-Seattle-Vancouver....he was stopped at the Paris airport and he had to spend the entire night at Paris airport and book a new flight for the next day.

Anyone who doesn't know on this issue for sure, I politely ask you to please NOT give your 'advice' to others...for you it's just a matter of typing some words, for others, it could cost hundreds of dollars plus all the unwanted stress. That's all....

garyforu1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Delhi, India
Visa Office......
Delhi CHC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-25-2013
PMM & ameet747 this is for you to read and explain if there is anything wrong in what I mentioned...

you don't need the transit visa for UK, I myself have traveled to US couple of times and hold a valid B1/B2 Visa,
also traveled through BA via London to JFK twice and was never asked for a transit Visa.

I am not writing whatever is coming in mind but is out of my own personal experience...

I also mentioned that the Airline can give you the most accurate info...

Please look at the link

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/nonustransit.html

So what is wrong in what I said...period

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
garyforu1 said:
PMM & ameet747 this is for you to read and explain if there is anything wrong in what I mentioned...

you don't need the transit visa for UK, I myself have traveled to US couple of times and hold a valid B1/B2 Visa,
also traveled through BA via London to JFK twice and was never asked for a transit Visa.

I am not writing whatever is coming in mind but is out of my own personal experience...

Please look at the link

If u have read OP's post u will see that he is going through UK and US . He does not need a visa for UK though he will need a transit visa for US. U have visa so u were not stopped at UK but OP will if he doesnt have a US visa. The link u provided is for UK transit where u r traveling from UK to US or Canada not transiting through US. Below is the link to US transit visa
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
garyforu1 said:

Please look at the link

You've answered your own question! You said you already do have a valid B visa for the US..so obviously they don't ask you for a seperate transit visa, your B1/B2 is sufficient in your own case. Not the same for everyone else.
Plus, I never said anything about the transit visa for the UK, was just talking about the US.
By the way, I never meant to offend you or anyone else with what I said...of course you're also trying to help just like everyone else. So my apologies...

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks every one! I didn't know earlier that I need transit visa for US, hence booked ticket through US. May be I would have pay to airlines to change my itinerary.

Regards,
Rajib Samanta