+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on Question 6 - list all names

belle07

Oct 5, 2017
For question 6, list all names you have used, including name at birth, maiden name, previously married name, alias and nickname....

If my name is ABC DEF GHI JKL but in school records, it only says ABC JKL (First Name Last Name). Do I need to list ABC JKL?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For question 6, list all names you have used, including name at birth, maiden name, previously married name, alias and nickname....

If my name is ABC DEF GHI JKL but in school records, it only says ABC JKL (First Name Last Name). Do I need to list ABC JKL?

Short Answer:

My current view about this item is that so long as the name used has the same first and last name, it is NOT a different name and probably does not need to be listed separately.

Longer Response (and explanation for how my view has evolved):

This is not how I viewed this item previously, which was largely rooted in the way previous applications asked for "other names," which had just one box for entering "Given name(s)" and allowed the applicant to describe in his or her own words "details" about why the other name was used (and "variations of given name" made sense in this respect), and it taking me a few looks at the new form to more clearly (I think and hope) understand what IRCC is asking and what IRCC expects.

(Note: this particular subject amply illustrates the extent to which I am no expert, notwithstanding how thoroughly and carefully I research and analyze the citizenship application process. In my defense, however, I would suggest that IRCC, like CIC before it, can be deliberately vague in more than a few respects, the object being to solicit a range of information which will help IRCC assess many aspects of the applicant and application. For some of the information IRCC solicits, it is not the technically correct response which matters so much as it is the gist of the information and what can be inferred from it. This is a corollary to observations about how, for more than a couple items in the application, there is not necessarily a definite way to correctly answer.)

In any event, as I said, my view about this one has evolved some given that the current application form limits the applicant's explanation, as to why this name was used, to just six choices:
-- Name at birth
-- Maiden name
-- Married name
-- Previously married name
-- Alias
-- Nick name

And, perhaps more significantly, the table for listing other names has columns only for
-- Family name (Last name)
-- Given name (First name)

The latter suggests the first and last name is the important part. Variations as to middle names, initials, no middle names or initials, are not what they are looking for.

And variations as to middle names, initials, no middle names or initials, do not clearly fit any of the categories listed. Alias comes somewhat close, but suggests not just a variation of name but a totally different name.

This is a little incongruous with the specific request for nick names. Especially since nick names are less likely to be a version of a person's name which shows up in relevant documentation than variations of the name otherwise. One would think that part of IRCC's objective is to clearly match (with the applicant) or distinguish (from the applicant) various records or documentation. Such as school records. Employment records. For an applicant named William Jackson Henry Smith, for example, does "Bill Smith" (nick name) illuminate much of import, particularly in trying to verify that this or that school or employment record for "William Smith" or "Wiliam J.H. Smith" is the particular individual referenced in certain employer or school records, compared to the many tens of thousand of people in North America named "William Smith." The variations of name seem far more illuminating and relevant than "Bill Smith," but it now appears to me that IRCC wants the applicant to list (disclose) "Bill Smith" as a nick name but not "William J. Smith" or just "William Smith" as a variation of name used by William Jackson Henry Smith in contexts like school records, employment records, bank accounts, and so on.

As I have observed elsewhere, sometimes it is simply difficult to understand why a bureaucracy does what it does, recognizing bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. Best we can do is to chart what appears to be the best routes to navigate the process.

So, disclose nick names. Apparently no need to report use of alternative versions of one's name so long as the first and last name is the same.

cannewmem

Jan 17, 2018
I have my given names in my passport as "aaa bbb" (with space). and last name as "DDDD". But in
  1. few documents my first name is "aaa" and
  2. few others it is "aaa bbb" (with space) This is mainly because in few applications such as bank/employment either the application doesn't accept space in first name OR people simply assume if there is a space in given names , the first word (aaa in this case) is first name and the second word (bbb in this case) is middle name. That is what happened to me. In very few documents I also have "aaabbb" as first name (i.e., without space).
So it is all the same full name everywhere, They are just either with space or without space. In this case, should I list these variations of names in the application. I can list them, but it doesn't fit in to any of the nick name, alias, married name category. So, for question 6, can I simply write this in a letter of explanation OR just don't list any other names, as I have same fulll name everywhere.
I would really appreciate if any senior members or who went through this scenario can help me with their experiences. Thanks a lot.

Syeda Kawser

Jun 6, 2020
Hello guys hope all of you are doing good. I have a question list all names that you have used including name at birth, previously married names, alias, and nicknames and why was this name used in here why was this name used section should I put particularly my names why did I used or should I give only one answer. For example, my name is Syeda Kawser should i write syeda kawser why did I used or why I used Syeda and Why I used Kawser particularly? Would you mind to tell me please??