Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Hello all

Sorry if this was asked one too many times in the past but although I searched couldn't find an answer

Question #1
Does one have to be legally divorced from his ex-wife to be on a common law with his new mate?
I am legally separated for 4 years now and waiting on my divorce to be finalized in December. I have been into what I think a common law relationship with my woman almost for the same length. Because my country (Greece) does not have such laws as common law I wonder?
I am a Canadian citizen not residing in Canada and sponsoring my new mate

Question #2
How do I insert a timeline here in my account to show the progress of my application?

Question #3
When does my spouse (Principal Applicant) do her Medical exams. Do them when we are ready to send all the applications"

Question #4
I have assisted my common law spouse (Principal Applicant) to fill up most of the forms. Do we have to declare this as me being the interpreter who did it?

Thanking you all in advance

messenger

theholderof4

Aug 29, 2012
Hello,

1) You are in a common-law relationship if you have lived with your partner for at least 12 months. You should provide with a satisfactory explanation if you are not including a certificate of divorce or separation. Are you planning on sending your application before the divorce is finalized? I wonder if you would save on processing time if you wait for the certificate. Perhaps others can answer this.

2) Once you submit your application, provide relevant information to the person who volunteered to keep that month's thread up-to-date.

3) The medical examination should be done before the application is sent, and yes, it is better to do them when you are ready to send the application.

4) I do not think you need to declare this.

Good luck!

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
#1)
yes it is possible to sponsor your spouse as common-law even if you arent legally divorced.
Although if you are in the process of filing, you should include that information in the application.

But for instance in the phillipines, divorce is not an option, so many people are sponsored as common-law or conjugal, yet still legally married.

Also it does not matter if the country you are living in does not acknowledge common-law, alot of countries dont, but the nice thing is that Canada does, :D so as long as you can prove it via joint accounts, leases, etc. which I imagine you can if you have lived with your partner for so long than you can apply as common-law

#2, if your talking about the timelines on the side bar under your name, after 10 posts you are able to add it.

theholderof4's answers are right for the other 2 :)

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
theholderof4 said:
Hello,

1) You are in a common-law relationship if you have lived with your partner for at least 12 months. You should provide with a satisfactory explanation if you are not including a certificate of divorce or separation. Are you planning on sending your application before the divorce is finalized? I wonder if you would save on processing time if you wait for the certificate. Perhaps others can answer this.

2) Once you submit your application, provide relevant information to the person who volunteered to keep that month's thread up-to-date.

3) The medical examination should be done before the application is sent, and yes, it is better to do them when you are ready to send the application.

4) I do not think you need to declare this.

Good luck!
Thank you very much. Have a nice day!

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
LeisaP said:
#1)
yes it is possible to sponsor your spouse as common-law even if you arent legally divorced.
Although if you are in the process of filing, you should include that information in the application.

But for instance in the phillipines, divorce is not an option, so many people are sponsored as common-law or conjugal, yet still legally married.

Also it does not matter if the country you are living in does not acknowledge common-law, alot of countries dont, but the nice thing is that Canada does, :D so as long as you can prove it via joint accounts, leases, etc. which I imagine you can if you have lived with your partner for so long than you can apply as common-law

#2, if your talking about the timelines on the side bar under your name, after 10 posts you are able to add it.

theholderof4's answers are right for the other 2 :)
Thank you so much!