+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification about the online questionnaire

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi,

I'm confused about how to answer this question, "Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?"

I'm going to stay with my blood-related sister who is already in Canada on a study permit.

The ? mark explains that "This means you will be staying with a family member who is already in Canada, or has applied to come to Canada and has been accepted as a visitor, worker or student."

But, the word "accompanying" alone in the glossary is defined as "Accompanying you means that this person intends to come to Canada at the same time as you."

Also, I believe that "family member" is defined as "An applicant's closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children." So my (blood-related) sister is not my "family member" in this case?

How should I respond to this question?

Many thanks!!!

*All definitions are from the CIC glossary

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
I chose "no" and I got my visa approved already.
"family member" is defined as "An applicant's closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children."
If you choose yes, you have to provide proof of your relationship with them.