+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification about some question in RQ form

borrasca

Nov 10, 2013
Hi everyone,

I received the CIT 0171 (09/2012) E version of the RQ. I have some doubts about how to go about answering some of the questions and I was hoping I could get some advice:

• Question 16 does not specify the period of time that is being requested. Should I specify what they were doing since my arrival to Canada until present, or do I limit my answers only to the period specified in the first page of the questionnaire (i.e. the period that counts towards my 1095 days requirement)?

• Declaration: I am currently working in the U.S. but I have used a friend's address as my mailing address since I left. Should I put my current U.S. address in the "current mailing address' field, or should I continue to use my friend's address in Canada?

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
borrasca said:
Hi everyone,

I received the CIT 0171 (09/2012) E version of the RQ. I have some doubts about how to go about answering some of the questions and I was hoping I could get some advice:

• Question 16 does not specify the period of time that is being requested. Should I specify what they were doing since my arrival to Canada until present, or do I limit my answers only to the period specified in the first page of the questionnaire (i.e. the period that counts towards my 1095 days requirement)?

• Declaration: I am currently working in the U.S. but I have used a friend's address as my mailing address since I left. Should I put my current U.S. address in the "current mailing address' field, or should I continue to use my friend's address in Canada?
why did you use your friend's address when you are not in the country... People like yourself has increased the processing times for everyone - sorry bud, but thats not good... your current mailing address means: where you live at the moment...

borrasca

Nov 10, 2013
sept15 said:
why did you use your friend's address when you are not in the country... People like yourself has increased the processing times for everyone - sorry bud, but thats not good... your current mailing address means: where you live at the moment...
If that's the case, why are there two fields in the personal information update form in the CIC website: one for home address and one for mailing address? I originally used that address after consulting with a CIC call center agent, so I doubt it's because of "people like myself" that the processing times have increased for everyone.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
borrasca said:
If that's the case, why are there two fields in the personal information update form in the CIC website: one for home address and one for mailing address? I originally used that address after consulting with a CIC call center agent, so I doubt it's because of "people like myself" that the processing times have increased for everyone.
do as the call agent suggested, i guess... i would put mailing address = home address because you want your documents mailed to you - didn't mean to blame you.... take it easy, good luck.

citque

Nov 1, 2013
sept15 said:
I totally disagree with what you are saying sept15, they do not mention anywhere to stay in Canada after applying for citizenship. This is an excuse to say because of such people processing time is longer now, the real reason is CIC's money, staff etc .

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haha. Your comment makes me laugh. So what happens if you get a better offer in the States? ignore it? refuse it? Lets say this offer will help you financially...would you just disregard it?

Your comment also is ridiculous. Everyone (wherever they are) should look out for themselves and their family. You have no right to blame people because you are very anxious to get your passport. and why the rush? You like Canada, so the timeline shouldn't affect you.

And btw, educated people know that the reason for this delay is not because of applicants that are working outside of Canada. Just research a bit more...And again, no need for the hurry. You are in Canada so sooner or later your turn will come. Could be 1 year or 10 years. If you have nothing to worry about then you have time ;)

sept15 said:

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
Just how right is this? Government expecting its citizens not to leave/visit out of the country, naturalized or born here. Let me say you, it is against the constitution. if Harper and his folks are so concerned about this then why don't they make Canada the best place to live so that people will find it very hard to move around. Majority of the people who are expatriates are Canadian-born and are of Caucasian descent. Personally I don't have anything against them, but the government wont dare to stem the leak on that side because it knows it can get its hands burnt if it even tried to do it. So this whole argument that people are just waiting to get their passport to move out of Canada has become so cliche'd and tell you what: if these people are at fault if they move out, then is not the Canadian government equally at fault for not creating enough economical opportunities for these people who are looking for greener pastures? I also wonder how come people say they are a burden to tax payers, when clearly Canada taxes on world income, most provinces offer universal health care only after at least 3 months of residency and Canadians naturalized or by birth cannot indefinitely pass on their citizenships to their descendants while being expatriates, it is now restricted to just one generation.
Please do not get the wrong idea that im for the idea to leave ASAP after acquiring passports. All Im saying is travelling where your career, education and family takes you is one of your rights being a part of a developed advanced and free nation like Canada; all im saying is you shouldn't be willing to give up your right because the government is ineffective in catching the real misusers, if at all any! Also I want you to understand if you do think this as a problem, then don't impose it so hard on yourselves, as it takes two hands to clap. Not just new immigrants, even Canadians who were so for generations are expatriates who went to take better opportunities and that's how they want it to be. All Harper can be concerned about is if they're getting their tax money from each of these expatriates on what they make.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Haha. Your comment makes me laugh. So what happens if you get a better offer in the States? ignore it? refuse it? Lets say this offer will help you financially...would you just disregard it?

Your comment also is ridiculous. Everyone (wherever they are) should look out for themselves and their family. You have no right to blame people because you are very anxious to get your passport. and why the rush? You like Canada, so the timeline shouldn't affect you.

And btw, educated people know that the reason for this delay is not because of applicants that are working outside of Canada. Just research a bit more...And again, no need for the hurry. You are in Canada so sooner or later your turn will come. Could be 1 year or 10 years. If you have nothing to worry about then you have time ;)
perhaps you are having trouble understanding me.. You can go wherever you please after you apply but provide the 'correct address'... what I was trying to say is that: there are people who have lied in the past by telling CIC that they have lived in Canada but in fact they were not in Canada... What I was trying to advice is: Provide the accurate home address/mailing address to CIC wherever you are... Hope this is clear.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well said +1. That's what I always thought. People are just fast to blame immigrants who got their citizenship and left. Yes some have cheated the system, but they live in fear. Trust me. People don't really care much about Canadians who were born in Canada and live somewhere else. Just because they are not immigrants, people tend to think that it's ok.
People, Canadians or naturalized Canadians, have the right to live anywhere they like as long as they are following the law.

CanuckForEver said:
Just how right is this? Government expecting its citizens not to leave/visit out of the country, naturalized or born here. Let me say you, it is against the constitution. if Harper and his folks are so concerned about this then why don't they make Canada the best place to live so that people will find it very hard to move around. Majority of the people who are expatriates are Canadian-born and are of Caucasian descent. Personally I don't have anything against them, but the government wont dare to stem the leak on that side because it knows it can get its hands burnt if it even tried to do it. So this whole argument that people are just waiting to get their passport to move out of Canada has become so cliche'd and tell you what: if these people are at fault if they move out, then is not the Canadian government equally at fault for not creating enough economical opportunities for these people who are looking for greener pastures? I also wonder how come people say they are a burden to tax payers, when clearly Canada taxes on world income, most provinces offer universal health care only after at least 3 months of residency and Canadians naturalized or by birth cannot indefinitely pass on their citizenships to their descendants while being expatriates, it is now restricted to just one generation.
Please do not get the wrong idea that im for the idea to leave ASAP after acquiring passports. All Im saying is travelling where your career, education and family takes you is one of your rights being a part of a developed advanced and free nation like Canada; all im saying is you shouldn't be willing to give up your right because the government is ineffective in catching the real misusers, if at all any! Also I want you to understand if you do think this as a problem, then don't impose it so hard on yourselves, as it takes two hands to clap. Not just new immigrants, even Canadians who were so for generations are expatriates who went to take better opportunities and that's how they want it to be. All Harper can be concerned about is if they're getting their tax money from each of these expatriates on what they make.

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
+1 i understand you
sept15 said:
perhaps you are having trouble understanding me.. You can go wherever you please after you apply but provide the 'correct address'... what I was trying to say is that: there are people who have lied in the past by telling CIC that they have lived in Canada but in fact they were not in Canada... What I was trying to advice is: Provide the accurate home address/mailing address to CIC wherever you are... Hope this is clear.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do understand your comment. What I am trying to portray is that it's not fair to say that applicants who lie are the reason that the CIC is prolonging our application processing time. Applicants should always be honest. But it's not the reason.
Hope your application goes well :)

sept15 said:

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I assume you met the 1095 days required? right? Then you left to the US? Correct me if I am wrong.

If so, just write a letter explaining your situation. Explain that you used your friends address because maybe you work as a consultant and you have no permanent address (speculating...). I know my wife was sent to work in the US for a long period of time (4 to 5 months), and everything was paid. So she had no access to her mailbox and therefore forwarding the mail to her friends would have made sense.

Explain your situation so we can help...

borrasca said:
Hi everyone,

borrasca

Nov 10, 2013
For what it's worth, I called CIC today to confirm that the information previously provided by a CIC agent was correct. The agent I spoke to today not only confirmed the information was correct, but he said that in fact I HAD TO list a Canadian mailing address even though I am not currently living in the country. He said the residential address could be the same; apparently it does not matter.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
borrasca said:
Hi everyone,

1. Use since 'arrival date' as this seems to be the default start point for all 'time' questions in the RQ.
2. As per agent doesn't matter where you reside but mailing address must be in Canada. They see from your RQ declarations that your residential address is in the US - this is what has to be the actual address of where you live.