+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification about community colleges in Canada

Jun 2, 2015
Hello guys, I have several questions I hope some of you here could answer me.

First, is it true that you can (as an international student) apply to a community college in Canada as a mature student? Shouldn't you be like a resident or something? I read a topic on another forum where a guy from Romania said that he got admitted to cenntinel college in Canada as a "Mature Student" (19 or higher years of age). I was shocked I thought that they'd only let you do that if you were a resident or something...

Second, are community colleges good? Like are they worth my investment? I've always wanted to go and study in Canada and see how it's like over there, but I don't want to spend 40 - 50 thousand dollars for nothing. I'm not planning on staying in Canada after graduation, I've always been more of an adventurer, I like to keep travelling the world and discover new places and meet new people and such, so can an advanced diploma (3yrs) or regular diploma (2yrs) help me find work within and outside of Canada as an Engineer?

Lastly, last night my friend was admitted to Seneca College, it seems like a very good college and they have so many university transfer pathways, I've been thinking, can I go to Seneca and then when I graduate, transfer to a university but outside of Canada as an international student? Do they let you do that? It'd be nice if they do. Anyways, that would be all, thank you for reading my thread. =)

Oh one last thing, does anyone here know about Microsoft certificates? Basically I have three certificates sent to me by Microsoft corporation, I have a certificate in Microsoft office word, excel and access. Will these certificates help strengthen my college admission application? Should I send them a photocopy of each? Just wondering, thanks. :p

Maima

Aug 8, 2014
Hi StephenHawkingFan (I'm a big fan too) :p

I think that several colleges in Canada does allow you to go study as a mature student. I know few people who went to universities as mature students (21 years or older) and they had no permanent residence status in Canada. So yeah I guess you could do that, but it'd be best if you get a highschool diploma, or at least a highschool certificate of completion, I think it's just better to have these at your disposal.

As an Engineer, you should be able to find work everywhere you go. Diploma or advanced diploma, doesn't really matter, though, it's best if you get an advanced diploma. And if you can follow that up with a degree it'd be much better and will help you out a lot in the long run. But diploma or advanced diploma, you'll be able to find work and get a decent amount of salary.

I think community colleges are great, especially Seneca because of the university transfer pathways they have to offer. I also think that you could also transfer credits to another university outside of Canada even if you're an international applicant yes, as long as the university you're transferring to is in partnership with Seneca.

As for the Microsoft certifications, yes submit those even if they didn't ask for them. These usually proves that you are an achiever and are willing to walk that extra mile etc... They will boost your chances for getting an early admission offer, so yeah send a copy of each to the college of your choice.

Pures Toro

Star Member
May 8, 2015
Dear Friend,

Interesting line of questions.

A1: It is true a mature student can apply for a community college in Canada. I have students who aged upto 32 to get in to programs.

A2: Are they any good, Yes. They are a good way to get your education if you are not interested in spending a lot of money on universities. Estimated Cost for a 2 year program is about 24K to 28K. Depending on the college. Finding the right course depends on your educational background. If you are an engineer have some work experience and plus a Canadian education, your chances to land a job hikes up by %30. Don't Forget to land a job you need to be on the required level. No certificate in the world is going to help you if youi are not.

A3: Seneca is a well know college around the world they have tie ups with a lot of Universities in and out of Canada. They have a list on their Website. You will be given the credit for the community college education in Canada, all around the world. No Country with a strong education system can deny the Diploma or Certificate.

A4: MS Certificates are good to have but, they are not going to play a big part in your college acceptance.