+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming Refuge in Newfoundland?

aisha171

May 24, 2018
Is it a good idea to claim refuge in the province of Newfoundland? I have read articles that discourage claiming refuge in this province due to the long processing of files and lack of lawyers......and lack of refugee support but since I don't want any financial support.... I only want to know the process? I also want to know the university tuition for refugees in this province?
I really hope that I'll be able to get some answers :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is it a good idea to claim refuge in the province of Newfoundland? I have read articles that discourage claiming refuge in this province due to the long processing of files and lack of lawyers......and lack of refugee support but since I don't want any financial support.... I only want to know the process? I also want to know the university tuition for refugees in this province?
I really hope that I'll be able to get some answers :)
Processing times are long everywhere (2-3 years). I don't think it really matters where you apply.

You will only qualify for domestic university tuition fees once you have been determined to be a protected person (i.e. only once your case has been approved).

aisha171

May 24, 2018
There many article saying that the process is even longer in NL... it really doesn't matter to me if it's long I am only afraid if it is frustrating or if some files are neglected as I read in some websites.
I read that even if the case has been approved some universities still treat refugees as international students in regard of tuition?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes before you are approved as an asylum seeker you are still an international student. As previously mentioned your student permit will likely be cancelled if you file for asylum.

aisha171

May 24, 2018
Yes before you are approved as an asylum seeker you are still an international student. As previously mentioned your student permit will likely be cancelled if you file for asylum.
Yes, but I read in some cases even if your accepted as a refugee some universities still consider you an international student.

jack_2001

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Yes, but I read in some cases even if your accepted as a refugee some universities still consider you an international student.
1_ before being a convention refugee you will be treated as an international student
2_ if you are accepted as a protected refugee you will pay the same fees as pr holder do
3_the process for the hearing and the process around 2_3 years
4_ the weather in Canada is frozen so you might feel depressed as no social life or friends or work..be prepared