+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming EI during restoration.

scaryclare

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Hi can anybody tell me if they have found a way that EI can be claimed during restoration? Obviously your SIN expires the date that your visa expires and you can only renew it with a new visa and we have been told they can't process our application because our SIN's have expired! My arguement with them is that the only reason we can't work is due to the delays at SC in processing the LMOs, we have worked enough insurable hours and paid EI all the time we have been here working, It's so frustrating, Health care will extend your cover for 90 days so why not SIN? Thank you

out

Jun 23, 2012
thread question; may i ask re msp -

1. is msp automatically stops too once your valid work permit expires?

2. is it extended also of 90 days grace period provided you update the monthly payment?

2. if no extension or grace period of 90 days; is the stoppage is on the end of the month regardless of what date in the said month or the exact date where the very day where the work permit expire or stops?

3. if by mistake or overlook to find the date expired and you undergo medical assistance; will you be charged by the insurance when you resume your msp?

a big help if answered and a guideline to all who will read...thank you and more power!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
out said:
thread question; may i ask re msp -

1. is msp automatically stops too once your valid work permit expires?

Healthcare coverage can be extended for 90 days with proof that you have applied for extension(fee receipt of application).

2. is it extended also of 90 days grace period provided you update the monthly payment?

The 90 days is in the hopes that your work permit will be processed by then.

2. if no extension or grace period of 90 days; is the stoppage is on the end of the month regardless of what date in the said month or the exact date where the very day where the work permit expire or stops?
See answers above

3. if by mistake or overlook to find the date expired and you undergo medical assistance; will you be charged by the insurance when you resume your msp?

The hospital will ask for your card anyway and if it's expired, you will have to pay out of pocket and then see whether you can claim a refund. No guarantee the province will refund you, so better note the expiry date of the permit and apply for extension before it expires.

a big help if answered and a guideline to all who will read...thank you and more power!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
So far I can not see a way around it. It comes back to the SIN, you can not apply for EI when it's expired. Even with implied status, you can not renew it but can continue to work.

This may be hard to hear but even if your SIN was not expired, it would not be as straight forward to qualify. To claim EI:

1. you must have lost your job through no fault of your own(e.g. laid off). Being fired will disqualify you. If you fell out of status, the question will be whether it was out of your countrol?

2. you must be available to work - this is where it gets tricky for work permit holders. Without a valid work permit, you are technically not available for work even if a job opening came up, so you may be disqualified.

There have been changes to EI rules that take effect in 2013. These changes basically mean EI is no longer something we can rely on(eventhough we pay into it), so it's important that we save for a rainy day or our families will have to start using the food banks.

scaryclare said:
Hi can anybody tell me if they have found a way that EI can be claimed during restoration? Obviously your SIN expires the date that your visa expires and you can only renew it with a new visa and we have been told they can't process our application because our SIN's have expired! My arguement with them is that the only reason we can't work is due to the delays at SC in processing the LMOs, we have worked enough insurable hours and paid EI all the time we have been here working, It's so frustrating, Health care will extend your cover for 90 days so why not SIN? Thank you

out

Jun 23, 2012
to senoritabella,

you are a good moderator and all your inputs make sense, hopefully you will not get tired of reaching out...KUDOS!

Paul1986

Mar 8, 2019
I need your help i have stoped working because my work permit was expired but have applied do you think i can be qualified for EI?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need your help i have stoped working because my work permit was expired but have applied do you think i can be qualified for EI?
Unfortunately no. You must be holding a valid work permit to qualify for EI.

Moronfolu123

Nov 21, 2022
Guys please help, I applied for Employment Insurance benefits at October 5 ,when my work permit expired September 5 ,have been on Restoration status but I got an update on Nov 15 that my claim cannot be paid because am not available for work. So I received my new work permit on December 12 and uploaded it into my service Canada account. Do you think am still eligible to receive to E I claim or decision can be updated . I called the call center they seem to tell me that my new documents is still under review till today January 11.

Kd86

Aug 10, 2023
Guys please help, I applied for Employment Insurance benefits at October 5 ,when my work permit expired September 5 ,have been on Restoration status but I got an update on Nov 15 that my claim cannot be paid because am not available for work. So I received my new work permit on December 12 and uploaded it into my service Canada account. Do you think am still eligible to receive to E I claim or decision can be updated . I called the call center they seem to tell me that my new documents is still under review till today January 11.
Hi, I’m in a similar situation now,
Can you tell me if you were able to get your EI? And how you ended your employment when your visa expired ?
Thank you