+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming asylum at the airport

domdomdom

Oct 5, 2020
Hello everyone,
I wanted to learn more about the process of seeking asylum at the airport when you arrive Canada.
A friend of mine will come to Canada and plan to seek asylum once he arrives at the airport. Anybody has any experience, information about
What is the process like? what are the procedures? how long he has to stay at the airport? will he be given brown paper when he gets out of airport? does the time he arrives matter for finding immigration officials etc. ? and things you would like to add as an advice.

Just looking for a general information to prepare him for what's awaiting there.

Thanks everyone.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
I wanted to learn more about the process of seeking asylum at the airport when you arrive Canada.
A friend of mine will come to Canada and plan to seek asylum once he arrives at the airport. Anybody has any experience, information about
What is the process like? what are the procedures? how long he has to stay at the airport? will he be given brown paper when he gets out of airport? does the time he arrives matter for finding immigration officials etc. ? and things you would like to add as an advice.

Just looking for a general information to prepare him for what's awaiting there.

Thanks everyone.
Do they already have a TRV? That tends to be the largest obstacle.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes, he coming on with a student visa
They should really study. That provides a way for you to control whether you get PR. If he/she got approved for a study permit that means there was decreased concern that they had the grounds to claim asylum.

domdomdom

Oct 5, 2020
They should really study. That provides a way for you to control whether you get PR. If he/she got approved for a study permit that means there was decreased concern that they had the grounds to claim asylum.
yes I agree and he will definitely start doing his master once he is done with the hearing

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
yes I agree and he will definitely start doing his master once he is done with the hearing
That might take almost 2years to get his hearing, counting lengthy of time without work permit. I hope there is a plan in case he get negative decision....

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone.
Your friend wont be issued study permit soon as he declares he is asylum seeker at point of entry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no guarantee he will get admission again for his masters program. Standards are much higher for citizens and PRs applying for masters program. If he studies his masters program and then works in NOC 0, A or B for at least a year he is essentially guaranteed PR. If he claims asylum he isn’t guaranteed asylum and he could be stuck in the system for 2-5 years and still not get approved. If he wants the best way to obtain PR he should study.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone.
If he is from a country that is listed as one of the dangerous countries like Afghanstan, Yemen, Iraq, Syria.... then they won't send him back at the airport and he will be granted the refugee ID at the airport and give him some forms known as BOC to fill in 15 days. He might stay an overnight or a few hours during the day. It might be better if he arrives when it is morning in Canada, that way he wouldn't need to stay long. They will interview him and ask why he is claiming assylum, if they think he is in danger in his home country then they can't refuse his assylum seeking and cannot send him back to his country. As long as he says he is in danger and he can prove that later in his hearing which might be 1 year to 3 years.