+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claim points for professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession but working in a different field

aspiringforPR

Mar 8, 2021
Hi! I have a bachelor's degree in pharmacy but I did not work as a pharmacist. I worked in a pharmaceutical company (job fits NOC 4165 or 1252).
Based on the canadian immigration website I could get 135 points for my pharmacy degree as it is included in (professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession). My question is, will I be able to claim 135 points for my pharmacy degree even if I have different job and therefore will use different NOC other than pharmacist. Or just for bachelor's degree (112 points) since my occupation is not a pharmacist.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi! I have a bachelor's degree in pharmacy but I did not work as a pharmacist. I worked in a pharmaceutical company (job fits NOC 4165 or 1252).
Based on the canadian immigration website I could get 135 points for my pharmacy degree as it is included in (professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession). My question is, will I be able to claim 135 points for my pharmacy degree even if I have different job and therefore will use different NOC other than pharmacist. Or just for bachelor's degree (112 points) since my occupation is not a pharmacist.
Great question, I hope I can know the answer too.
kindly @legalfalcon help us.

Whether you can use your degree to claim 135 points will depend on the ECA assessment. When you get an ECA done, your ECA should read as "professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession," only then can you claim 135 points. If it reads as Master's or Bachelor's then you cannot.

Also, for pharmacists, you may consider getting an evaluation from Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada if you need a license in Canada.

You can check the forum

Assessment for pharmacists
If you are a pharmacist (NOC code 3131), where you need to get your report depends on your job.

If you need a licence to practise you must get your report from the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (designated January 6, 2014). This applies to you if you care for patients in a

• hospital pharmacy
  • long-term care facility
  • community pharmacy
If you do not need a licence for your job, you can get your assessment from any other designated ECA organization. This includes jobs where you may need a pharmacy degree but may not need to have a licence to practise, such as

• the government
  • the pharmaceutical industry
Contact the regulatory body in the province where you plan to live to find out if you need a licence to practise.

Reactions: aspiringforPR