+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claim accepted, what are the next steps!

Lakeland4321

Oct 8, 2018
Hi everyone, I just want to know the next step(s) me and my family are to take as we just received a positive decision at our hearing earlier this week. We were told by the board member that our decision letter will arrive in the mail in a couple of weeks.

My question is what are the next steps to take when the letter arrives so as to ensure seamless integration?

I have a few clues but just wanted confirmation

1. Apply for Provincial Health Card (so as to leave the IFHP)
2. Apply for PR for family
3. Apply for RTD for family trips (arrived US, stayed for just 2 days and crossed illegally so no travel to US and home country for now)
4. Apply for SIN for kids to access Child benefits and govt education grants from CRA

These are a few i heard about, would be grateful if those who have passed this stage could help break it down for us. Also if lawyers in the house could give some opinion on what to do too. Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I just want to know the next step(s) me and my family are to take as we just received a positive decision at our hearing earlier this week. We were told by the board member that our decision letter will arrive in the mail in a couple of weeks.

My question is what are the next steps to take when the letter arrives so as to ensure seamless integration?

I have a few clues but just wanted confirmation

1. Apply for Provincial Health Card (so as to leave the IFHP)
2. Apply for PR for family
3. Apply for RTD for family trips (arrived US, stayed for just 2 days and crossed illegally so no travel to US and home country for now)
4. Apply for SIN for kids to access Child benefits and govt education grants from CRA

These are a few i heard about, would be grateful if those who have passed this stage could help break it down for us. Also if lawyers in the house could give some opinion on what to do too. Thanks in advance.
You need to wait for the letter. It can take days to months. Education grants require you to put in money and the government adds a fraction depending on your income level and whether you qualify. Would focus on applying for PR and getting provincial health cards if you qualify for them. If you don't qualify you remain on IFHP. Would only apply for RTD if you travel plans on the horizon because RTDs expire.

Reactions: Ex ツ

vagonbrei

Oct 27, 2020
Once you recieve the letter form the RPD you can submit your application for you and your family for Permanent Residency under the Convention Refugee / Protected Person class.

I agree with Canuck78. I wouldn't get a RTD unless you have a need for it, as they normally only issue one for a year or two at a time. Do not renew your country passport or travel to your country of origin as this could result in a cessation or vacation of your refugee status.

Get your provincial health cards if you meet the qualifications. I believe you have to get PR first.

Lakeland4321

Oct 8, 2018
You need to wait for the letter. It can take days to months. Education grants require you to put in money and the government adds a fraction depending on your income level and whether you qualify. Would focus on applying for PR and getting provincial health cards if you qualify for them. If you don't qualify you remain on IFHP. Would only apply for RTD if you travel plans on the horizon because RTDs expire.
Thanks, would certainly focus on applying for PR and getting provincial health cards.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, would certainly focus on applying for PR and getting provincial health cards.
Your family may not qualify for provincial health plans. Depends on the province and depends on whether the adult is working fulltime. You actual often get more benefits under IFHP.

Lakeland4321

Oct 8, 2018
Your family may not qualify for provincial health plans. Depends on the province and depends on whether the adult is working fulltime. You actual often get more benefits under IFHP.
I agree the IFHP has more benefits but the decision letter from IRB included a notice that we have 45 days to leave the IFHP. Here in Nova Scotia, I am working full time but you are required to even show evidence of PR application and fee receipt.

Lakeland4321

Oct 8, 2018
@lakelancongrats! Was your hearing virtual? And can you please share likely tips?
Yes it was, thankfully mine didn't last more than 30mins! I think it depends largely on the board member, some of them are more lenient than others. In my case he was satisfied with all the documents that was sent and was just asking questions relating to my story and the documents that he had before him. So i will advise to know your story very well and respond promptly to questions asked.

Reactions: Tite2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree the IFHP has more benefits but the decision letter from IRB included a notice that we have 45 days to leave the IFHP. Here in Nova Scotia, I am working full time but you are required to even show evidence of PR application and fee receipt.
So you'll need to apply for PR and pay the application fees in order to apply for provincial healthcare in NS.

Tite2020

Star Member
Sep 10, 2020
Yes it was, thankfully mine didn't last more than 30mins! I think it depends largely on the board member, some of them are more lenient than others. In my case he was satisfied with all the documents that was sent and was just asking questions relating to my story and the documents that he had before him. So i will advise to know your story very well and respond promptly to questions asked.
Thank you for your response. Congratulations once again