+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Civil Engineering job prospects in Canada with UK qualifications

ginna.p

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Hello everyone! OP here, just wanted to give a little bit of context, that way answers can be a little more relevant.

It would be helpful to get answers from someone who is working/has worked in the civil engineering/construction industry in Canada with foreign qualifications.

I just received my Canadian PR and looking to move to Ontario (my sister and mum live there, I miss them so much!).

I have 2 Master’s degrees from the UK and have worked in Hong Kong, Singapore, and now I am working in the UK in design and BIM (Building Information Modelling).

I have zero Canadian qualifications (no Canadian degree nor Canadian work experience)

I wanted to know how much intrinsic weight do employer’s put into Canadian qualifications because I have been looking into job postings online but I am afraid that employers will just turn me down for not having Canadian qualifications.

I am not looking for intermediate or senior positions, just for junior/associate/assistant engineering positions at the moment (positions that only require EIT or provisional PEng), that way I can get the experience necessary to obtain PEng.

Another option for me to think about is to go back to uni in Canada to obtain an additional degree and increase my job prospects.

Thanks in advance!

tekinirfan

May 3, 2016
Hi Gina, I'm a civil engineer as well, I moved in June and I worked in in various projects across the middle east.
I'm currently working in a small company to gain some Canadian experience and I can tell you these :
  • Canadian experience is quite important here, Though,I worked in mega projects none of recruiters seems impressed at all. The can simply ignore sometimes.
  • Networking is the key for finding a job, Recruiters receive hundred of emails daily you had to do more than sending emails.
  • it's always a good idea to add some Canadian licenses and certificates here.
Good luck.

Reactions: ginna.p

ginna.p

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Hi Gina, I'm a civil engineer as well, I moved in June and I worked in in various projects across the middle east.
I'm currently working in a small company to gain some Canadian experience and I can tell you these :
  • Canadian experience is quite important here, Though,I worked in mega projects none of recruiters seems impressed at all. The can simply ignore sometimes.
  • Networking is the key for finding a job, Recruiters receive hundred of emails daily you had to do more than sending emails.
  • it's always a good idea to add some Canadian licenses and certificates here.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for the response! Very helpful! I'll look into starting a postgraduate course while job hunting at the same time

Thanks again!