+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

City Restriction on Open Work Permit

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
So, I got my Spousal Open Work Permit last summer. Moved to Canada in August 2016. At the immigration desk, I don't know what went on in the immigration officer's mind that he put a weird restriction as this:

Employment Location: Vancouver

At the time, I didn't pay much heed to it because I already had a job offer to work in Vancouver upon landing. I also didn't know at the time that about 3/4 of Greater Vancouver is actually not officially part of the City of Vancouver municipality, yet a large number of companies operating in Vancouver have their HQs in those non-Vancouver areas (Burnaby, Surrey, New Westminster, Richmond etc.). Incidentally, last week I ran into an immigration adviser and randomly mentioned this restriction. She said, that restriction is abnormal and unheard of (for her). Then today, I was in conversation with an employer based in Burnaby and she also said that having dealt with numerous OWP holders working for her company over the years, she has never seen an OWP with restriction of the employment location.

I am just now realising the consequences of this restriction: I cannot accept job offers from companies in Burnaby, Surrey, New Westminster, Richmond etc. Two of the employers who indicated my success after interviews have now held back their offers because I disclosed this location restriction to them. This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ElmTree said:
So, I got my Spousal Open Work Permit last summer. Moved to Canada in August 2016. At the immigration desk, I don't know what went on in the immigration officer's mind that he put a weird restriction as this:

At the time, I didn't pay much heed to it because I already had a job offer to work in Vancouver upon landing. I also didn't know at the time that about 3/4 of Greater Vancouver is actually not officially part of the City of Vancouver municipality, yet a large number of companies operating in Vancouver have their HQs in those non-Vancouver areas (Burnaby, Surrey, New Westminster, Richmond etc.). Incidentally, last week I ran into an immigration adviser and randomly mentioned this restriction. She said, that restriction is abnormal and unheard of (for her). Then today, I was in conversation with an employer based in Burnaby and she also said that having dealt with numerous OWP holders working for her company over the years, she has never seen an OWP with restriction of the employment location.

I am just now realising the consequences of this restriction: I cannot accept job offers from companies in Burnaby, Surrey, New Westminster, Richmond etc. Two of the employers who indicated my success after interviews have now held back their offers because I disclosed this location restriction to them. This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
I think you are reading into that a little too far - I would interpret that as the Greater Vancouver area, not 'the city of Vancouver'. So Burnaby, Richmond etc are fine.

Weird that you were restricted, you can apply to have your conditions changed. But in the meantime, I wouldnt let that hold you back from accepting a role in these areas.

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
It's not really a restriction. If it was a restriction it would say " can not work in any location other than stated" in the conditions box. What probably happened was the officer put your destination city in that box instead of setting it as unknown.

If you already have a job and not planning on leaving it, I wouldn't worry, you can work anywhere in Canada. If you are looking for a new job, a lot if employers get scared when they don't see unknown and need you to work outside Vancouver from time to time, even though you legally can. If that's the case then take your work permit to where it was issued and ask them to correct it. It shouldn't be a problem.

shashipandeyy

Aug 29, 2017
It's not really a restriction. If it was a restriction it would say " can not work in any location other than stated" in the conditions box. What probably happened was the officer put your destination city in that box instead of setting it as unknown.

If you already have a job and not planning on leaving it, I wouldn't worry, you can work anywhere in Canada. If you are looking for a new job, a lot if employers get scared when they don't see unknown and need you to work outside Vancouver from time to time, even though you legally can. If that's the case then take your work permit to where it was issued and ask them to correct it. It shouldn't be a problem.
I have this issue and I accepted the offer from a giant MNC but I could not clear my background verification because of the city constraint. I told them that this is not right but they did not buy it. So I would really suggest people make this correction. From where I do not know as I cannot connect with the CIC customer care center.

shashipandeyy

Aug 29, 2017

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
Could you change the Location part? I have the same issue.. Kindly let me know where I can change it..

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
What happened to your OWP? Were you able to change it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.