+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship

NishiGogetter

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Hello all,

If I continue with the PR (while my 14-year-old kid and wife are out of status), once I get citizenship after about 4 years, will my son too become a citizen automatically, Please note he may be 18-19 years by then? Please suggest.

Thanks,
NishiGogetter

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No will not become a citizen automatically , still needs to qualify/ apply. Being out of status will not help at all.

Bruhaspati

Star Member
May 1, 2014
No will not become a citizen automatically , still needs to qualify/ apply. Being out of status will not help at all.
I believe the child will get citizenship, since one of the parent has got Citizenship and child of citizen would qualify for being Citizen naturally, Is'nt it? Ofcourse, the child's PR may have got revoked meanwhile due to residency obligation not meeting,

Bruhaspati

Star Member
May 1, 2014
I believe the child will get citizenship, since one of the parent has got Citizenship and child of citizen would qualify for being Citizen naturally, Is'nt it? Ofcourse, the child's PR may have got revoked meanwhile due to residency obligation not meeting,
Sorry for the unconfirmed suggestion, did my due deligence and checked at CIC, Child may not qualify naturally. Experts may suggest/conform if otherwise.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sorry for the unconfirmed suggestion, did my due deligence and checked at CIC, Child may not qualify naturally. Experts may suggest/conform if otherwise.
That’s the point the child is out of status and assume even not in the country and given the timeline proposed will no longer be considered a minor as far as citizenship is concerned. So even with the OP becoming a citizen the child would not meet the requirements for the OP to be able to apply for the child’s citizenship. So answer still stands no automatic right to citizenship, still needs to meet any requirements for a minor with or without a Canadian citizen parent.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - the child will not automatically become a citizen. This would only happen if you got citizenship before your child was born.

Reactions: Alex54321

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No - the child will not automatically become a citizen. This would only happen if you got citizenship before your child was born.
or if your child was born in Canada.

And also do not confuse somebody being minor with somebody being dependant.
Your child will become adult at the age of 18 with all the responsibilities. So no easier path there. He / she will have to meet RO and pass the citizenship test on his / her own.