+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship vs PR card

xalam

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Hi,
Since my citizenship application is a non-routine and it may take more than 1 year to process and I have my PR card expiring less that 6 months,,, so I think to renew my PR card and I'm wondering if it's going to make it worst with my citizenship application.... I mean again fingerprints, documents...etc.

Thank you for your help!

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR card renewal is a simpler process and you wont be asked for fingerprints etc. It is advisable to renew your PR card even if your citizenship process takes less than 3 months. Believe me I am saying through experience. If IRCC finds your sincere intentions they might even refund the PR card fees if your citizenship happens before then. This happened with one of my friends. So go ahead and renew your PR card.
xalam said:
Hi,
Since my citizenship application is a non-routine and it may take more than 1 year to process and I have my PR card expiring less that 6 months,,, so I think to renew my PR card and I'm wondering if it's going to make it worst with my citizenship application.... I mean again fingerprints, documents...etc.

Thank you for your help!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xalam said:
Hi,

Thank you for your help!
PR card expiry does not mean that you are out of status. PR Card is just a travel document. In case if you are planning to travel somewhere then you will need PR Card to re-enter.

PR Card renewal process is straight forward for most cases. It gets more attention/delayed if you have some residency issues from lack of physical presence, criminal record etc.,

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
As a general rule in life, most people always keep their travel documents in order.
Specially when u got family/relatives/ties outside Canada and may/could need to travel urgently.
We keep travel docs upto date and valid. If that includes PR Card, need to keep it valid and ready.
Apply in advance for renewal as it can take time.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
xalam said:
Hi,

Thank you for your help!
I let my PR card expire while my citizenship application was pending, without applying for it to be renewed. But I had no international travel plans, no anticipated reasons I might need to travel anywhere but the U.S., from which I could easily return to Canada by private vehicle, so far as I knew my citizenship application was routine, and if it had taken much longer for me to be scheduled for the oath I probably would have eventually applied for a new PR card. But I was soon scheduled to take the oath.

Expired PR card was no problem at the interview or when surrendering my expired PR card at the oath.

But of course the best approach, like in respect to most aspects of these processes, depends on the specific circumstances in the particular individual's case. There rarely is any one-rule-fits-all and that is true for this query as well.

Bottom-line, the PR card itself is only necessary for international travel, so those who have no reason to anticipate traveling internationally can usually afford to let the PR card expire. Be aware of unanticipated contingencies in deciding whether or not to apply for another card. In any event, keep the expired card, however, to show if and when asked during the continued processing of your citizenship application, and to surrender when you are scheduled to take the oath. In some provinces, an expired PR card may suffice to show when renewing a Drivers license or health care card.

Otherwise, obviously IRCC can and likely will compare information submitted in the respective applications, if a PR card application is submitted while a citizenship application is pending (or the other way around). Obviously, discrepancies could cause problems. Otherwise, however, to the extent concerns are resolved in one process, that should mean those concerns will not arise again in the other. But of course unresolved concerns can impinge both applications, to the extent the concerns are respectively relevant.

Remember, GCMS is a unified system for all information regarding a client, which even includes FOSS. So IRCC has full access to any and all other applications or transactions a client has with IRCC when processing any given application. Obviously the GCMS screening, which is required to be done again each and every time any significant step is taken in the citizenship application process, will entail reviewing all relevant data for the particular client.