+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test: Qn on electoral districts - 308 or 338?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the question:
How many electoral districts in Canada?
a. 308
b. 200
c. 105
d. 338

The answer is 308 as per the Discover Canada book; whereas the current number is 338. So, which option should we choose if both are given? ::)

Reactions: MarceauBletard

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
ajithpl said:
For the question:
How many electoral districts in Canada?
a. 308
b. 200
c. 105
d. 338

The answer is 308 as per the Discover Canada book; whereas the current number is 338. So, which option should we choose if both are given? :)
I believe I read in the Discover Canada book that the content may be out of date. So I think always go with the up-to-date content, and I guess just hope this is reflected on the tests CIC are currently giving.

Given the effective date of the change of boundaries and increase in electoral districts to 338 was May 2014, over 2 years ago, I think it's a bit of a poor show that the Discover Canada book still shows the wrong information. I mean honestly how hard would it be for them to change ONE number on a PDF document at some point over the past 2 years?

For another example, in the Discover Canada book it says people "between the ages of 18 and 54 must have adequate knowledge of English or French in order to become Canadian citizens". But in actual fact it is currently 14 to 64 (admittedly likely to be changed back if and when bill C-6 is approved, but that hasn't happened yet so 14 to 64 is currently the correct age range).

Wayne

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Wayne. If there is a chance, I will check with the officials before the test on this to be on the safer side. I understand that it might not be that easy to change the book as they had to recall and print all the reference books issued in libraries and other places. I read somewhere they are going to revise the book soon and will make it current. Hopefully, all the "dynamic" things they can put it in a different way towards the end or giving a link/ URL to refer.
:)

layla_

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Does anyone have an update on this issue? Sitting my test on Tuesday and just noticed the book still notes 308, but 338 is the actual and correct answer?

Citizenship & Immigration Canada are pretty specific about The Discover Canada guide being the ONLY source for study....... So what is the correct way to answer this question should it come up?

Thoughts?

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I will put 308 in according to the book and if I fail I would challenge them after the test.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I will put 308 in according to the book and if I fail I would challenge them after the test.
I don't see how this is the appropriate way to handle this. Obviously if you know that 338 is the correct answer (and we all do) you should choose that answer and not some incorrect one that happens to be printed in the guide. You can still challenge them if they don't accept your 338 answer, but at least you are having the high ground in that argument since, for a fact, 338 is the correct answer. I would say "338 is the correct answer" is a way better argument than "308 is the wrong answer, but it is printed in some book that you recommend, so that's why I picked it".

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I don't see how this is the appropriate way to handle this. Obviously if you know that 338 is the correct answer (and we all do) you should choose that answer and not some incorrect one that happens to be printed in the guide. You can still challenge them if they don't accept your 338 answer, but at least you are having the high ground in that argument since, for a fact, 338 is the correct answer. I would say "338 is the correct answer" is a way better argument than "308 is the wrong answer, but it is printed in some book that you recommend, so that's why I picked it".
If there is a choice of 338 than yes, but if there is not than 308. As far as I remember though and I might be wrong 338 is not a choice.

I have a similar issue: who is in power in B.C.? Until another week the Liberals after that the NDP. I hope they update the question's answer.

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they know that the content is out of date, why would they put questions like that in a test to cause confusion? You'd assume that they wouldn't provide two "correct" answers and simply either omit one or the question entirely. It's much easier to update the test than the study guide.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
If they know that the content is out of date, why would they put questions like that in a test to cause confusion? You'd assume that they wouldn't provide two "correct" answers and simply either omit one or the question entirely. It's much easier to update the test than the study guide.
That is what I think. Those questions are probably omitted.

layla_

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Ended up being a moot point.

But I agree with the both of you - it's ridiculous that this is even an issue, and there really is no right way to answer this questions and I absolutely would have challenge any incorrect marking had it been 308 OR 338.

This book is over 5 years old. Time for an update... or at least some amendments.

layla_

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
If there is a choice of 338 than yes, but if there is not than 308. As far as I remember though and I might be wrong 338 is not a choice.

I have a similar issue: who is in power in B.C.? Until another week the Liberals after that the NDP. I hope they update the question's answer.
I would assume in that case, that they are not going to ask any questions relating to that when an election or change is so near.

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
If that/such question comes, and if 338/correct answer is not one of the choices, my understanding is, as long as you ATTEMPTED that question, you get +1 ! Cheers!