+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship test done, but language and physical presence still in progress

Mechanicist

Apr 28, 2014
My citizenship application status shows that the citizenship test is completed, while the language and physical presence are still in progress. Is not this strange? Don't they check to see one meets those criteria before inviting her to take the test? I applied in August 2020 and was invited to take the test in April 2022.

Reactions: tbear

hassan09

Jun 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
2nd AOR :19.04.2010
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
16.02.2013, Remedicals for kids (15.02.2014)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Planning for October 2014
My citizenship application status shows that the citizenship test is completed, while the language and physical presence are still in progress. Is not this strange? Don't they check to see one meets those criteria before inviting her to take the test? I applied in August 2020 and was invited to take the test in April 2022.
That's absolutely normal!

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
did you take the online test or inperson test?

cookiechan

May 6, 2017
When I got my citizenship test completed and done, my background verification is still in progress, not to mention prohibitions, language, and physical presence.

So it is normal that you have received test beforehead.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
See my signature.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Background check and test are complete, but other parts are in progress.
"My citizenship application status shows that the citizenship test is completed, while the language and physical presence are still in progress. Is not this strange? Don't they check to see one meets those criteria before inviting her to take the test?"​

Nothing strange about this at all. The norm. Actually it would be quite strange to see that language and physical presence verifications were complete before the knowledge of Canada test. At the soonest (generally; there are almost always exceptions, some more strange than others) confirmation of applicant's language and presence qualifications are done concurrently with the knowledge of Canada test, or at least attendant an interview. For many applicants these verifications come after the knowledge of Canada test.

The LONG Explanation (for those interested; most should scroll or skip); with Background and Context:

Given the procedural adaptations implemented due to Covid and the global pandemic, for most if not nearly all applicants the verification of language and physical presence come AFTER the test.

In particular, except for the procedural adaptations implemented due to Covid and the global pandemic, including online tests and interviews, the routine procedure was to do test, language, and documents check in one event. That is, until Covid almost all adult applicants were scheduled for a test and interview together (and those test-exempt scheduled for a documents-check interview at same time others were scheduled for test and interview). For those who failed to pass the language screening in the interview (which generally has been a quite small percentage since CIC implemented the requirement to include documentation of language ability in the application itself) a later, second language-test interview would be scheduled; for the vast majority their requisite ability in official language was verified and complete as of the test-interview event.

IRCC is obviously still in the process of sorting out what will be the post-Covid routine procedure, particularly in respect to interviews. For now, IF there is an interview, language verification will be done as part of the interview (it is nothing special, more or less monitoring the applicant's ability to communicate in the interview itself); thus, the language requirement will not be "complete" until there is an interview or a decision to proceed without an interview.

Reminder: the documentation of ability in an official language submitted with the application ONLY meets the application-completeness requirements. That documentation alone does not meet the applicant's burden of proving language ability sufficient for the grant of citizenship. Thus, any applicant who is subject to the knowledge of Canada and language requirement can be (and until covid all were routinely) screened for language ability in an interview.

Physical Presence verification:

Verification that the applicant has met the physical presence requirement is probably the most multi-faceted and VARIABLE process in citizenship application processing. Nonetheless, like verification of the language requirement, the SOONEST this is done is almost always attendant the test; this too was typically screened attendant the test-interview and completed then unless there was some open question. Note, for example, RQ-related processing (where applicants are subject to additional document requests or investigation as to their physical presence) has almost always been a POST-test procedure; so-called pre-test RQ, for example, is unusual and generally has ONLY happened (with isolated exceptions) as part of --
-- special quality control projects​
-- an especially draconian effort to crack-down on fraud by the Harper government between 2012 and 2015 (with periods during which as many as one-in-four applicants were being issued pre-test RQ)​

Most exceptions would involve cases where there was a more or less obvious issue on the face of the application or physical presence calculation.

Thus, again and here as well, it would be strange to see the physical presence verification complete before the test event, at the soonest.

That is, here too MOST applicants will have their physical presence verification completed attendant or soon after the test event, or at least attendant an interview if there is an interview.

For a significantly higher percentage of applicants, unlike verification of the applicant's ability in an official language, however, the verification of physical presence remains open (not complete) after the test, and even after an interview. For most this is no big deal, and many if not most will not notice any additional delay in processing. For some there may be either RQ-related requests or some additional internal background screening or even a potential referral to CBSA/NSSD for background investigation, and yeah that results in some delays.

Background Check Complete:

Even though the GCMS record shared with clients may indicate background checks are complete, to some extent this is misleading.

This subject is complicated. Among the more common examples illustrating how misleading this can be, there are numerous anecdotal reports from applicants whose background was "complete" but later noted as "in progress." Moreover, there is ALWAYS at least one more outstanding background clearance right up to when the oath is scheduled, to be done attendant the scheduling of the oath.

On the other hand, GCMS can and often does indicates that the background checks are not complete or are still in progress, EVEN THOUGH the formal clearances from RCMP and CSIS have been complete, are in the file . . . but NOT yet noted in GCMS as complete (much like the gap between when your application physically arrived at CPC-Sydney and months later when IRCC's records finally show AOR, the RCMP and CSIS clearances are often returned to IRCC and in the file but the officer processing the file has not yet done the equivalent of acknowledging their receipt).

A lot of the forum discussions about background checks barely scratch the surface. And much like the GCMS record notations themselves, are largely NOT informative. I realize many forum participants are fond of and rely extensively on GCMS notes, whether obtained through the ATIP process or what is relayed to the applicant by a call centre agent (they basically see the same version of GCMS that a client has access to . . . a limited, redacted version). And yes, obtaining a copy can be an important pro-active step for SOME, just some and not many, applicants.

HOWEVER, for the vast majority of applicants the GCMS records illuminate very little and virtually nothing useful.

And this is especially true in regards to background checks.

Reminder re background checks/screening:

There are three formal background clearances for citizenship applications: RCMP, CSIS, and GCMS clearances.

RCMP and CSIS clearances are generally each a one-time thing unless there is either a lengthy processing timeline or something triggers the need for an update. These are the most routine of routine for almost all applicants. Even when an update is needed, these clearances rarely delay the progress of a citizenship application. That said, for those FEW (and I do mean FEW) for whom IRCC or RCMP or CSIS or CBSA have identified a concern, for this small number of applicants the formal RCMP and CSIS clearances can be a bigger deal, more extensive, and for CSIS-related matters especially this can mean lengthy delays. Again, this only affects a small number, and almost ALL, if not ALL of those affected this way know who they are without needing to get any information from IRCC. Applicants who genuinely know of no reason why CSIS, for example, would have concerns about their background, can be quite confident that their CSIS background clearance is routine and not causing any delays, even if GCMS does not show it to be complete.

The GCMS check is done each and every time an IRCC official takes action on the citizenship application. Thus, at minimum this is done three times, more likely at least four. There is always one more GCMS check outstanding right up to when the oath is scheduled, since it must be done attendant scheduling the oath. While it is primarily a check of the applicant's immigration history (and thus for example the last check attendant scheduling the oath will screen for any Port-of-Entry inadmissibility reports right up to that day), the GCMS screening also entails a name-record criminal history check, which at the very least runs against name-record data in both the RCMP and U.S. NCIC (FBI) records.

Those are the formal "clearances" required, and what most references to background checks are about.

There is, nonetheless, additional background screening done which VARIES widely. Like most immigration related screening (including PoE questioning of travelers), and law enforcement in general likewise, a telescoping approach is employed, pursuant to which the scope of inquiry is minimal or increases incrementally if and when the screening reveals concerns or questions to be further probed. Applicants can rest assured the scope of inquiry will generally be commensurate with the merits of their case, and not a fishing-expedition, not arbitrary or capricious.

Reactions: Mechanicist

baphomet

Jul 27, 2018
hey, did you get invitation for oath ceremony ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
My family members applied (2 adults and 1 child) for citizenship in March 2023. Both got fingerprint request. Spouse has everything passed. Husband still has Background check and Prohibitions in Process.
His fingerprints were received at the same time as spouse in July and next day for spouse the background check got completed.
For husband, they are still reviewing the fingerprint check even though they have already received in July

Confirmed with IRCC call centre that criminality has passed but security is still in progress.
How much time would it take more to pass the security?
Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: