+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship rules proposed changes

hambousha

Jan 9, 2015
Dear all
As per the chrrent rules; you need to stay 4/6 years in Canada to be eligible for citizenship ..
In addition to that; each of the four years you beed to stay 183 days physically in Canada
1-Do I understand the rules in the right way ?

I have read an article of Canadavisa that they are proposing to change the roles as follows;
4/6 years to be 3/5
They would also repeal the provision of 183 physical presence .
2Does that mean that you would live outside Canada and be present any number of days every year so you would be eligible?
Thanks in advance for your kind advice

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hambousha said:
Dear all
As per the chrrent rules; you need to stay 4/6 years in Canada to be eligible for citizenship ..
In addition to that; each of the four years you beed to stay 183 days physically in Canada
1-Do I understand the rules in the right way ?

I have read an article of Canadavisa that they are proposing to change the roles as follows;
4/6 years to be 3/5
They would also repeal the provision of 183 physical presence .
2Does that mean that you would live outside Canada and be present any number of days every year so you would be eligible?
Thanks in advance for your kind advice
The 183 rule only affects people who have long absences between their stays but yes, they are planning to abolish it anyway. You would still need to reach 1095 days in 5 years but there would be no 183 day condition anymore. However, it would be impossible to reach 1095 days in 5 years unless you had 183 days or more in some of those years.