+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

...citizenship rules for leaving country

judy003

Mar 31, 2013
Hi, I will be able to apply for citizenship in october once I complete the 3 years in days,,,,but I need to know if I can apply and leave the country and then come back to take the citizenship test,,,I know waiting time is about 20 months,,,,someone told me you can leave 6 months maximum and then come back but I dont know if this is true, if I could just come back for a couple of weeks and then leave again 6 months, then come back,,,and so, till the citizenship test,,,,how could I know this? thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are no rules that say you can't leave after applying for citizenship, however, two things you should keep in mind.

1) Your PR status must still be in good standing for you to get citizenship, therefore, you must make sure that you continue to meet the PR residency obligation until your oath, that's 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years.

2) Leaving Canada may increase the likelihood of you getting an RQ (residency questionnaire). Because it has been common that people lie about their staying in Canada in order to get citizenship, having left may be seen by immigration as a red flag that you do not have strong ties to Canada and that you may possibly have lied about having spent 3 years. If this happens to you, you will have to prove your time in Canada and this can seriously delay your application.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Leon,

I have applied for citizenship (family application) in 2011 and received RQ in 2012 after the test. I have also responded to RQ.

My question is, Can my family travel to home country for 1 month trip? I am not travelling because of job and vacation etc..

Do I need to send a letter to CIC Office (St Clair, Toronto in my case) that family is travelling to home country?I can attach a copy of e-ticket as proof of travel.

Can you please advice?

Thanks,
IBM.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they can leave the country for a month and as immigration says they should notify if they leave for more than 2 weeks, you should notify immigration who is leaving and send copies of tickets.

judy003

Mar 31, 2013
Hi Leon,

So if there are no rules but I have to let them know that I am leaving,,,then can I apply and come back 2 years later for the test? because assuming I leave as soon as I earned the 3 years in days then that would be fine or not?? but in that case, I would have to leave some mailing address to receive the notifications,,,should I leave a friend's address or my country's address?? what are some recommendations?? thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
judy003 said:
Hi Leon,

So if there are no rules but I have to let them know that I am leaving,,,then can I apply and come back 2 years later for the test? because assuming I leave as soon as I earned the 3 years in days then that would be fine or not?? but in that case, I would have to leave some mailing address to receive the notifications,,,should I leave a friend's address or my country's address?? what are some recommendations?? thank you
Yes, you should let them know you are leaving. You can keep a mailing address in Canada for them to contact you.