+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship rules changing in 2019 and beyond?

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi..

the federal election is coming soon in October 2019. I know if trudeau wins there will be no changes but what if Conservatives win? Are they going to immediately change citizenship rules and make it tuff?

Also how quickly would new rules be implemented in case conservatives win?

As of today's estimate I believe I can apply for citizenship in August 2020. Am I still safe according to 3 years out of 5 years rule or do I have to worry about election and Trudeau or Conservatives?

Thanks

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi..

the federal election is coming soon in October 2019. I know if trudeau wins there will be no changes but what if Conservatives win? Are they going to immediately change citizenship rules and make it tuff?

As of today's estimate I believe I can apply for citizenship in August 2020. Am I still safe according to 3 years out of 5 years rule or do I have to worry about election and Trudeau or Conservatives?

Thanks
Let’s say the conservatives do win, is there anything you can do other than “worry”? This is out of our hand either way

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi..

Thanks
It's impossible to predict what will happen but if you become eligible in August 2020, it's possible that there may be insufficient time for Parliament to pass new, more restrictive, legislation by then. It all depends on the Parliamentary majority and the emphasis put on any changes by whoever runs the country then.

Reactions: k300k3