+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship requirements

zafarsaeed

Jan 11, 2012
Hi guys

Can someone tell what are the conditions for citizenship in terms of living, i.e. 3 out of 4 years. But what if someone does not live for 3 out of first four but 4 years out of 7 (meeting 3 out of last 4)???

looking for a contribution.
Zaf

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zafarsaeed said:
Hi guys

Can someone tell what are the conditions for citizenship in terms of living, i.e. 3 out of 4 years. But what if someone does not live for 3 out of first four but 4 years out of 7 (meeting 3 out of last 4)???

looking for a contribution.
Zaf
That's fine. They will only look at the four years before applying so you would be ok.
Also, in this example you would have been living in Canada 2 out of every 5 years so there would be no doubt that you are a PR.

You can see all the requirements here on CIC's website (they also have a citizenship calculator there)

zafarsaeed

Jan 11, 2012
thanks. this means that out of every 5 years, one has to live for at least 2 years OR PR will lost. Am I right?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zafarsaeed said:
thanks. this means that out of every 5 years, one has to live for at least 2 years OR PR will lost. Am I right?
Yes. The minimum requirements are:

"Minimum residency obligations

You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

If you have been a permanent resident for Five (5) years or more

you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days physical presence in Canada at the five (5)-year mark."
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp