+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Requirements explanation please

ASRAH

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Chaps,

I have a question to ask and i cant get clear answer, I got my immigration approved last year and i plan to land on June 2015 where i ll be coming back home before permanently settling in Canada. now what are the calculations for the citizen ship and resident permits:

the new law say your have to live 4/6 to get the citizenship while PR need 3 years ?!! Right . assume i want to come back to Canada after 3 years in that case i will be able to renew my PR within the 6 years period but i still missing one year to finish the 4th year.

my lawyer said that after finishing the 6 years without completing the citizenship requirements, you will have to start again from zero in the next 6 years period that mean the counter rest for a new period and the last 3 years will not count for your application . Is this right.

I hope i made myself clear.

Thanks everyone.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your lawyer is completely wrong and doesn't understand how residency for citizenship is calculated. The six year period does not reset. Hope you are not paying for this advice.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ladies,

Is this really a lawyer or an immigration consultant? In either case, their advice suggests that they don't understand Canadian citizenship or PR requirements. Or else you misunderstood their advice.

Also, to maintain PR, one must live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years, not 3.

Good luck.

ASRAH

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
he is immigration consultant ( I think ;) ) so what i understand from you that if stayed in Canada in the last two years before the PR expiration date and i got my PR renewed and then continue living their for another 2 years ( so total 4 is achieved) i can apply for the citizenship.

Thanks all for your help and i would appropriate further elaboration on how residency for citizenship is calculated.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ASRAH said:
he is immigration consultant ( I think ;) ) so what i understand from you that if stayed in Canada in the last two years before the PR expiration date and i got my PR renewed and then continue living their for another 2 years ( so total 4 is achieved) i can apply for the citizenship.

Thanks all for your help and i would appropriate further elaboration on how residency for citizenship is calculated.
Yes, excluding trips you make within the 4 years.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ASRAH said:
...so what i understand from you that if stayed in Canada in the last two years before the PR expiration date and i got my PR renewed and then continue living their for another 2 years ( so total 4 is achieved) i can apply for the citizenship.
You would be wise to keep in mind that life is unpredictable, so delaying your minimum 2 years of residency to maintain PR until it's down to the wire is risky. This forum has many reports of people who planned the same thing and then were faced with a family emergency back home at the last minute. They had to decide whether they should risk losing status in Canada by leaving for a week or month or two when doing so would put them in violation of the PR residency obligation.

ASRAH said:
I encourage you to review the CIC citizenship website for the basics.