+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Remotely

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
The only cent I will offer is here - Take control of what you can control and don't take a chance. The backlog is real and the queues in the passport application centers are real. There are folks from 2019 waiting for their apps to be completed. If you got an invitation and are thinking to postpone for whatever reason - think hard and think twice. Look at the forums and then decide. :)

@robb83 - You have made a very good decision !!! Congratulations and all the very best !!

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
Hi guys,

Did any of you have to leave Canada right after applying for your citizenship?
I'm applying for mine and flying over to Brazil a few days later. Will stay there for a while.
For that reason I'm a bit unsure as to how to proceed with my application.
I was thinking of putting down a friend's address in Canada as my home and mailing address. Is this ok or would I have to say my home address will be in Brazil and then have a different mailing address in Canada?

Thank you all!
I left Canada one month after applying for citizenship and been in England since - Dec 2020
Friends address is fine for mailing and home, personally I'd keep only Canadian addresses on there - they have no idea if you are actually there or not unless they really deep dive into things. Technically you could say "at point of application this address was correct" - which isn't a lie.
I created a mail suite NOT a PO box with UPS I think it was, it's an actual address that will get mail sent to, i've known multiple people do this for driving license and PR Card.
They will then ship your mail (you can pay for recorded) to yourself in Brazil.... or if you have a friends address you wouldn't need to bother.

Personally, I wouldn't mention Brazil at all and hopefully they continue with letting you take the citizenship test remotely.

Hope that helps.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I left Canada one month after applying for citizenship and been in England since - Dec 2020
Friends address is fine for mailing and home, personally I'd keep only Canadian addresses on there - they have no idea if you are actually there or not unless they really deep dive into things. Technically you could say "at point of application this address was correct" - which isn't a lie.
I created a mail suite NOT a PO box with UPS I think it was, it's an actual address that will get mail sent to, i've known multiple people do this for driving license and PR Card.
They will then ship your mail (you can pay for recorded) to yourself in Brazil.... or if you have a friends address you wouldn't need to bother.

Personally, I wouldn't mention Brazil at all and hopefully they continue with letting you take the citizenship test remotely.

Hope that helps.
See my signature.

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
Why would he have to wait there for a certificate.? Your friend and partner weren't very bright. One can, as I did, leave right after the ceremony, get the certificate forwarded overseas, and apply for a passport at a Canadian Embassy. That the passport takes "forever: should not matter; in any case "forever" is the same applying from inside or outside Canada.
Not when you actually live in Canada and the duration of your trip is only one week. Would you go overseas for a week or two for a holiday/business conference/family visit and worry that you have to get a passport there in a couple of days? I think the comment about "brightness" is unnecessarily rude. My understanding was that Robb was coming back to Canada to live here not for a short trip. Nothing in the original post suggested he was living there ("i am currently out of the country but received my oath invite to do it via zoom."--"currently"). Since he actually lives abroad then yes, he can get his passport easily in the U.K provided he will have time to take care of it there.

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
Not when you actually live in Canada and the duration of your trip is only one week. Would you go overseas for a week or two for a holiday/business conference/family visit and worry that you have to get a passport there in a couple of days? I think the comment about "brightness" is unnecessarily rude. My understanding was that Robb was coming back to Canada to live here not for a short trip. Nothing in the original post suggested he was living there ("i am currently out of the country but received my oath invite to do it via zoom."--"currently"). Since he actually lives abroad then yes, he can get his passport easily in the U.K provided he will have time to take care of it there.
I will come back to Canada eventually - when? Who knows, another version of Covid and I don't want family being without me here.

I think that live/reside etc. is all subjective, can see why Canada struggles with immigration when they make it very difficult and still try to operate on a paper based system somewhat!

I did a project for Canada Border services briefly and it would blow your minds the type of processes/systems they had been using over the last 20 years...

Anyway, ill be coming back to Canada to get this done, not ideal, but i'd rather that than have to get into any form of convo with IRCC

Reactions: yutaeren

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
On a separate note - once i've taken the oath is there a chance I will still get interviewed?
Once your oath is done.. there is no interview. I have personally not seen a single instance of such a situation reported yet. The completion of the oath marks the closure of your application.

Reactions: robb83

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
Once your oath is done.. there is no interview. I have personally not seen a single instance of such a situation reported yet. The completion of the oath marks the closure of your application.
Kind of makes the system and process look poor when i've been outside Canada all this time, to then say "well come back for the oath" then you can leave again...

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Hi guys,

Did any of you have to leave Canada right after applying for your citizenship?
I'm applying for mine and flying over to Brazil a few days later. Will stay there for a while.
For that reason I'm a bit unsure as to how to proceed with my application.
I was thinking of putting down a friend's address in Canada as my home and mailing address. Is this ok or would I have to say my home address will be in Brazil and then have a different mailing address in Canada?

Thank you all!
I did and was out for almost 3 years. I used an address in Canada.

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Read more carefully. The comment was about his "friend and partner", not him.

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
During the address part, I have a mailing address which is different from my home one.

What do they ask to verify, as I haven’t been at my home address for over a year.

I presume at this stage the oath is now a formality and if they had wanted to interview me about being in England etc. They would need to have done it by now?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Kind of makes the system and process look poor when i've been outside Canada all this time, to then say "well come back for the oath" then you can leave again...
Eh, even when the oaths were done in-person, this was always allowed, so long as all other eligibility requirements at the time of the oath were fulfilled.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
During the address part, I have a mailing address which is different from my home one.

What do they ask to verify, as I haven’t been at my home address for over a year.

I presume at this stage the oath is now a formality and if they had wanted to interview me about being in England etc. They would need to have done it by now?
If they wanted to interview you it would've been done by now, I'd say of your mailing address is different just confirm it with the agent and say yes I have my mail directed there as it's more convenient for you and easier.