+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Remotely

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
hi all

thought i'd make this thread separate as i've seen a few differing responses.

i am currently out of the country but received my oath invite to do it via zoom.

I can see on CIC website it does say about contacting them to explain the situation, has anyone successfully explained the need and then therefore taken the oath remotely.

i would return back to Canada but its only approx. 2 weeks notice and that doesnt work for me.

im concerned about contacting them and getting the response "tell us when you're back in canada and we will arrange" - I could attend in July/August but my preference would be remote.

my PR runs out in november so equally aware that time is running out

any feedback/insight would be most appreciated before i send the mail to CIC

cheers
Rob

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
hi all

i am currently out of the country but received my oath invite to do it via zoom.

I can see on CIC website it does say about contacting them to explain the situation, has anyone successfully explained the need and then therefore taken the oath remotely.

i would return back to Canada but its only approx. 2 weeks notice and that doesnt work for me.

im concerned about contacting them and getting the response "tell us when you're back in canada and we will arrange" - I could attend in July/August but my preference would be remote.

cheers
Rob
A few people here have claimed they’ve been able to, but none of them disclosed their personal circumstances and you’re not disclosing yours so most of us don’t really know yet what merits an overseas oath.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
hi all

cheers
Rob
In the last 3-4 months, there have been only two cases reported here of an overseas Oath. One was a 'friend's friend's wife' or something like that while the second was a first hand experience. You may want to scroll to page two of the forum to read that thread.

Quite a few people have reported delays because they are outside Canada. One of the very first questions asked during the oath ceremony is to confirm your physical presence in Canada at that moment so I am guessing that those who have been able to get a waiver have been under highly exceptional circumstances.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi all

cheers
Rob
As others have said, we've only heard of two cases on this forum where individuals were allowed to take the oath remotely. The vast majority of people in your situation have had their oath postponed and IRCC has said to let them know once they are back in Canada. By all means ask IRCC if you can take your oath remotely. You'll want to provide very strong reasons for doing so. However it's best to assume that IRCC will most likely postpone your oath and tell you to notify them once you are back in Canada. So you should be prepared for that being the most likely outcome. I would contact IRCC as soon as you can.

The only other option is to return to Canada in time for the oath.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
hi all

cheers
Rob
Rob my advice would be do whatever you can to get back for the oath and complete it within Canada, your citizenship cert can be forwarded onto your location afterwards and you can apply for your 1st canadian passport from abroad....I had to do that and my passport application is about 4 weeks old so fingers crossed that'll come through soon.

In regards to letting them know, yes more than likely it'll be tell us when you're back in Canada and we will only then look at something but that's also a case of 'how long is a piece of string' in terms of them re-booking it.

I don't know your personal circs but personally speaking a 2 week advance notification to me is sufficient....I say that because I had a window of 6 days advance notification and had to book no matter what cost and also that was during the time where PCR tests were mandatory and it was hassle, so right now it's much easier for you.

The rest if up to you, as stated above we know of 2 cases of doing it from abroad, so unless you have a solid case....I'd fly back for something you've invested a lot of time and money into, not taking into consideration stress etc.

Cheers
Dal

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
The rest if up to you, as stated above we know of 2 cases of doing it from abroad, so unless you have a solid case....I'd fly back for something you've invested a lot of time and money into, not taking into consideration stress etc.
I wouldn't fly back, if you will be back in Canada in July/August then why not do it then? It will give you enough time before your PR expires and enough time to get a passport and so on.

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
Thanks all

I think you've managed to put it in perspective for me and ill fly back. Whilst not ideal I'd rather do it now than get into the whirlpool conversation with IRCC over personal situation.

Even if im there for a week, do the oath and leave then it makes much more sense than if personal circumstances change again in the short term and im trying to get hold of someone at IRCC.

Take what im given and i'm more than likely to be processed without any issues.

I presume once oath is done, that's it job done?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@robb83 -- I concur in the comments by @scylla

In the last 3-4 months, there have been only two cases reported here of an overseas Oath. One was a 'friend's friend's wife' or something like that while the second was a first hand experience. You may want to scroll to page two of the forum to read that thread.

Quite a few people have reported delays because they are outside Canada. One of the very first questions asked during the oath ceremony is to confirm your physical presence in Canada at that moment so I am guessing that those who have been able to get a waiver have been under highly exceptional circumstances.
Other examples: individuals stranded in Ukraine when the conflict started. These are actually the only fully reliable accounts I have seen since they have been reported in mainstream media.
here https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-couple-stranded-ukraine-citizenship-1.6367044
and here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canadian-citizen-ukraine-war-military-service-1.6397925#:

So far as we know, the law (per regulation) requiring the oath IN Canada for adult grant citizenship still applies. So it still appears that the only exceptions are those cases for which special authorization is obtained from the Minister; it is possible the registrar of citizenship has been delegated authority to do this on behalf of the Minister, but the more likely scenario is that the registrar processes applications and makes a recommendation to the Minister.

Reactions: bellaluna

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I wouldn't fly back, if you will be back in Canada in July/August then why not do it then? It will give you enough time before your PR expires and enough time to get a passport and so on.
Why wouldn't you fly back? That's simply ridiculous.....yes he'll be back in July/August but where's the guarantee of it being re-scheduled to then? Yep zero guarantee mate and you'd be risking the PR expiring....come back now (but he's already answered this and will come when scheduled), it'll mean fewer questions and he knows when it's going to happen as opposed to leaving it wide open.

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
Why wouldn't you fly back? That's simply ridiculous.....yes he'll be back in July/August but where's the guarantee of it being re-scheduled to then? Yep zero guarantee mate and you'd be risking the PR expiring....come back now (but he's already answered this and will come when scheduled), it'll mean fewer questions and he knows when it's going to happen as opposed to leaving it wide open.
I wouldn't fly back because when you come back you still have to wait for the certificate and apply for passport, which takes forever now unless you feel like camping in front of Service Canada. If you want to return to Canada later you'll need your passport and certificate.
My friend and my partner rescheduled their ceremonies because of travel plans and upon their return not only did IRCC respond very quickly (less than 4 hours), they also got their new oath dates scheduled to be within the next 15 business days. That's just my experience.

Last edited:

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
To be clear, when I said I could attend in July/August that doesn't mean I would be living back in Canada. I have other responsiblities from Covid that mean essentially I will be between Canada and England for the next year or so at least.

I want the happy, easiest path and with IRCC i've rarely found that to be the case when you try and do anything outside of the normal process.

I will be going back in June, I have a mail suite in Canada, certificate will get sent there and they will then international ship it to me. Once I have that, from what I understand I can obtain a passport from in England via the Canada consulate unless I am mistaken?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I wouldn't fly back because when you come back you still have to wait for the certificate and apply for passport, which takes forever now unless you feel like camping in front of Service Canada. If you want to return to Canada later you'll need your passport and certificate.
My friend and my partner rescheduled their ceremonies because of travel plans and upon their return not only did IRCC respond very quickly (less than 4 hours), they also got their new oath dates scheduled to be within the next 15 business days. That's just my experience.
So let me get this straight...the gentleman has a fixed date and knows when his ceremony is scheduled for....however what you're suggesting is forget that and come back in July/August (when again he can't come for an indefinite period) and hope that IRCC respond (like they never do within a quick timeframe)?
The fact that your partner and friend had theirs rescheduled quickly is more than like an anomaly as opposed to the norm....so getting the oath done takes what 60-120mins. Robb could then fly back and have his certificate mailed (yes a likelihood that it could go missing but I'd rather think glass half full than empty). I'm guessing he's already aware he needs a passport to return and you only need one not BOTH unless I'm mistaken.
Not having a go at you but having read many many forums on here and reading the experience of people....yes we aren't experts but merely giving advice....but I just felt that the advice you gave was really not beneficial to Robb....even though based on your own experience your loved one and friend were i'd say 'lucky' to get such a quick turnaround.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
To be clear, when I said I could attend in July/August that doesn't mean I would be living back in Canada. I have other responsiblities from Covid that mean essentially I will be between Canada and England for the next year or so at least.

I want the happy, easiest path and with IRCC i've rarely found that to be the case when you try and do anything outside of the normal process.

I will be going back in June, I have a mail suite in Canada, certificate will get sent there and they will then international ship it to me. Once I have that, from what I understand I can obtain a passport from in England via the Canada consulate unless I am mistaken?
Robb I've just applied for my first canadian passport from England (where I currently also have to reside due to covid commitments), I sent off all docs and relevant other bits and pieces to the High Commission in London and it's been just over 4 weeks....I sent them an email last week and they said approx 8 weeks to process. If you need to know more about this please let me know and I can fill you in on the particulars mate or it'll be easier to give me a bell if you want

Reactions: robb83

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Why would he have to wait there for a certificate.? Your friend and partner weren't very bright. One can, as I did, leave right after the ceremony, get the certificate forwarded overseas, and apply for a passport at a Canadian Embassy. That the passport takes "forever: should not matter; in any case "forever" is the same applying from inside or outside Canada.

felipeoxavier

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
Hi guys,

Did any of you have to leave Canada right after applying for your citizenship?
I'm applying for mine and flying over to Brazil a few days later. Will stay there for a while.
For that reason I'm a bit unsure as to how to proceed with my application.
I was thinking of putting down a friend's address in Canada as my home and mailing address. Is this ok or would I have to say my home address will be in Brazil and then have a different mailing address in Canada?

Thank you all!

Reactions: Dreamlad