+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Question 3B & 3C, LEGAL NAME CHANGE

vibeth222

Apr 20, 2013
Our family in the process of filling up the forms for Canadian Citizenship application and we are encountering some concerns regarding our names.

We are originally from the Philippines and there, the middle name is actually the mother's maiden name, not part of the Given name. Currently, in our IMM 5292 form, our Given Names include the our mother's maiden name. Since this does not apply here in Canada, we would like to omit our mother's maiden name in our application and stick with only our actual given names.

In this regard, do we need to apply for Legal Name Change before we can push through with the citizenship application? Or can we proceed with the citizenship application and do the Legal Name Change while in the process?

Can you please advice on the best approach to this matter?

For question 3C, should I write my maiden name (my old surname before I got married)? If so, should I write on the surname box only and not write anything on the given name box since I never had any other names aside from what I am using now?

Thank you for your help!

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vibeth222 said:
Our family in the process of filling up the forms for Canadian Citizenship application and we are encountering some concerns regarding our names.

We are originally from the Philippines and there, the middle name is actually the mother's maiden name, not part of the Given name. Currently, in our IMM 5292 form, our Given Names include the our mother's maiden name. Since this does not apply here in Canada, we would like to omit our mother's maiden name in our application and stick with only our actual given names.

In this regard, do we need to apply for Legal Name Change before we can push through with the citizenship application? Or can we proceed with the citizenship application and do the Legal Name Change while in the process?

For question 3C, should I write my maiden name (my old surname before I got married)? If so, should I write on the surname box only and not write anything on the given name box since I never had any other names aside from what I am using now?

Thank you for your help!
- Write the names on the form as they appear on your COnfirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).

* You may do a Legal Change of Name in your Province from 'the name appearing in your COPR' to your 'desired name' and then send the Certificate with your application. Change of Name takes about 2-4 months (depending on your Province).

* You could do a Change of Name after your Citizenship application is approved or during the process but the new name will NOT appear in your Citizenship Certificate.

* You could try to ask CIC to amend the name without going through a legal change of name (but this depends and they are not obliged to change it). Write a letter of explanantion and write the name you want in the form as well.

So, you got three ways to handle this one.

vibeth222

Apr 20, 2013
sept15 said:
- Write the names on the form as they appear on your COnfirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).

* You may do a Legal Change of Name in your Province from 'the name appearing in your COPR' to your 'desired name' and then send the Certificate with your application. Change of Name takes about 2-4 months (depending on your Province).

* You could do a Change of Name after your Citizenship application is approved or during the process but the new name will NOT appear in your Citizenship Certificate.

* You could try to ask CIC to amend the name without going through a legal change of name (but this depends and they are not obliged to change it). Write a letter of explanantion and write the name you want in the form as well.

So, you got three ways to handle this one.
Thanks Sept15! I think I would go for option number 3 and cross my fingers that they would amend the name without going through the Legal Change of Name process. If they would not change it, then I would just apply for the Legal Chang of Name after I got my Citizenship Certificate.

hiabhay

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2009
Doc's Request.
10-06-2009
AOR Received.
10-06-2009
IELTS Request
10-06-2009
File Transfer...
17-06-2009
Med's Request
18-11-2009
Med's Done....
17-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-11-2009
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2010
LANDED..........
25-10-2010
My spouse was in the same situation and just had to correct spelling of her last name. Her last name is misspelled on all of her immigration documents. We decided to correct it in our citizenship application. But after three months, we got a letter from CIC asking to show any document that has correct spelling of her last name. Since her last name was changed after marriage and misspelled on marriage certificate, we didn't had any other documents to prove the correct spelling although all of my documents have correct spelling. But they want to see document that has correct spelling on her last name. It had delayed the processing our application. Later, we wrote a letter to CIC to withdraw our request for change in name and requested them to process as it is.

My opinion is go with the name written on COPR/ PR card to avoid delays/ confusions. Once you have the citizenship certificate, then you can go for legal name change.

Toronto2014

May 28, 2014
vibeth222 said:

Thank you for your help!
I tried correct my name using question 3C like you, but I got a request from CIC to provide a copy of a provincial ID to confirm the name change. I sent a letter to CIC to withdraw the name change request. Hopefully this help. I am still waiting for the test.

vibeth222

Apr 20, 2013
hiabhay said:
My spouse was in the same situation and just had to correct spelling of her last name. Her last name is misspelled on all of her immigration documents. We decided to correct it in our citizenship application. But after three months, we got a letter from CIC asking to show any document that has correct spelling of her last name. Since her last name was changed after marriage and misspelled on marriage certificate, we didn't had any other documents to prove the correct spelling although all of my documents have correct spelling. But they want to see document that has correct spelling on her last name. It had delayed the processing our application. Later, we wrote a letter to CIC to withdraw our request for change in name and requested them to process as it is.

My opinion is go with the name written on COPR/ PR card to avoid delays/ confusions. Once you have the citizenship certificate, then you can go for legal name change.
I do have our Philippine passports that shows our actual Given Names. Do you think it would help?

kyoks80

Mar 7, 2015
Hi,

Im having the same issues right, im submitting my citizenship application next week. My id in BC showed : married name, givennames (1stname and maiden name).
what should i put on section B:

married name
givenname without the maiden name?

will immigration change it? or should i attached a letter of explanation plus my new passport with married name, marriage certificate and birth certificate? or should i not attached anything. im confused what is they gonna ask for certificate of name changed. Or should i go with married name, wrong givennames on section B?

Thanks!

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vibeth222 said:
I do have our Philippine passports that shows our actual Given Names. Do you think it would help?
This is what usually happens for immigrants from Philippines. You'll have to go through several process to change that. You'll have your IDs changed(DL, Health Card, Provcl ID etc.)update everything which needs to be changed. And since the COPR reflects that name, you'll have to use the name that is written on it on the application. If i were you, keep it that way for now and go ahead with your application. It will save you from the hassle. You just deal with it after the whole process. It will be easier.