+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship processing times by country of origin?

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
I had the idea that maybe we should look at processing times based on the region you come from to see whether they might be significant differences between, say Western Europe and Middle East.

Divine Favour

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014
Also Africa as well. will like to know

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
ottawa-pr said:
I had the idea that maybe we should look at processing times based on the region you come from to see whether they might be significant differences between, say Western Europe and Middle East.
There is only a very small percentage of people who apply for citizenship and post in this forum. If you started trying to collect data you would have insane levels of sampling bias. So you wouldn't get any useful data out of it.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Everyone has the rights to request past statistics from IRCC through ATIP under the Access to Information Act for $5, for example processing time by local office, by country of origin.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
spyfy said:
There is only a very small percentage of people who apply for citizenship and post in this forum. If you started trying to collect data you would have insane levels of sampling bias. So you wouldn't get any useful data out of it.
Not a scientific survey, I was thinking more along the way Imran01 has done in terms of monthly breakdowns. It would give you some sense of what is going on.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
All this interest dies down once one gets the citizenship, until somebody else initiates this again, as it is with
most questions on this forum.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
ottawa-pr said:
Not a scientific survey, I was thinking more along the way Imran01 has done in terms of monthly breakdowns. It would give you some sense of what is going on.
Again, those breakdowns would be meaningless. It tells you nothing if you have a sample of fifty people and then see that people from country A need longer to be processed. It would be completely random that you see something in that data.

Imagine you have one guy from country A and it takes 8 months
And you have one guy from country B and it takes 4 months

Would you now claim that country A generally moves slower? No, of course not. And "even" if you have fifty people, selection biased in this forum, that wouldn't change the judgement.

skekk

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Me and my friends from Eastern Europe (non schengen) have very different timelines. It differs from 4 months to 13 months with new rules since June 2015.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
skekk said:
Me and my friends from Eastern Europe (non schengen) have very different timelines. It differs from 4 months to 13 months with new rules since June 2015.
But that is not surprising since there is a lot of variation among Eastern European countries: Belarus (Russian vassal), Ukraine (pro-west), Moldova (riddled with corruption), Romania & Bulgaria (EU member states). So my guess would be that someone from Bulgaria is processed much faster than someone from Belarus.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
spyfy said:
And "even" if you have fifty people, selection biased in this forum, that wouldn't change the judgement.
Can you explain how people on this site are a biased sample? In what way do you think the users here deviate from the average person? Are they more likely to have non-routine applications? That is an easy fix as the criteria for an application being non-routine are pretty straight forward. Are they more likely to be more educated? What is the bias?

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
spyfy said:
Imagine you have one guy from country A and it takes 8 months
And you have one guy from country B and it takes 4 months

Would you now claim that country A generally moves slower? No, of course not.
That is easily fixed by looking at regions (this is my first on the spot try, maybe you could divide them a bit further

1. Europe (EU + UK + Norway + Switzerland)
2. Russia, Central Asia plus rest of Europe (from Tirana to Moscow)
3. Middle East and North Africa
4. Sub-Saharan Africa
5. Indian sub-continent (Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan)
6. Latin America
7. China
8. Rest of Asia (Japan, Korea, Indonesia, etc.)

skekk

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ottawa-pr said:
But that is not surprising since there is a lot of variation among Eastern European countries: Belarus (Russian vassal), Ukraine (pro-west), Moldova (riddled with corruption), Romania & Bulgaria (EU member states). So my guess would be that someone from Bulgaria is processed much faster than someone from Belarus.
I wanted to say the opposite. People from same type (non schengen which is non EU) countries has different stories. I am convinced that it depends on personal history.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
In my humble opinion I do not think that you would ever be able to detect any country specific biases as I believe they are very careful to process all applications in similar matter and even if they would be able to process an application from a specific applicant faster than from another, I believe they make very sure that they let the one from the former applicant sit to not make this obvious.

For what it is worth: when I applied for permanent resident status for Canada while living in the UK, being married to a Canadian, with three Canadian kids and married for then over 17 years it took me exactly six months to get the permit, the same amount of time it took everybody else, even though I believed that I had a slight "advantage" by my marriage to a Canadian and being a German passport holder, with assets to bring into the country. I can assure you I had no faster processing time than any other applicant. In fact: they said it would take 6 months and it took to the date exactly six months.

I think the variations in time have more to do with different citizenship offices than with where we come from and as said, should there be differences in our countries of origin I am sure they make very sure that we would not know this.

Stef.

Kian2017

Mar 24, 2017
Personally, I believe it is not only one factor playing in the speed of processing. It can be multi factors. For sure, CIC has priority factors. Most important which office location. As well, the applicant situation e.g. Travelling outside.
During my interview, I noticed the officer has paper with 4 boxes / points which she ticked off during the test. She ticked all of them then she said everything is good " now where were you born" . Where you born might affect the security clearance but not the main factor.