+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Process

sherry1123

Dec 25, 2010
This question goes to anyone who has gone through the citizenship process. I would like to get a feel for the process. My questions are asunder:

1) Is the process completely online or would I have to regularly check my mailbox for important communication?

2)What is on the online portal? What does it provide in terms of status updates?

3) I have the option of either applying at a Toronto location or at Mississauga location, judging from the Excel sheet that was uploaded here
I get the sense that applying from the Toronto office is actually much faster? Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Important information is all mailed - including the oath and test invitation. You need to be checking your mail regularly.

2) See above.

3) You don't pick. CIC picks. My husband lives in downtown Toronto and his application was processed by the Scarborough office.

sherry1123

Dec 25, 2010
So essentially the online portal is useless? Does it even notify that a physical mail was sent/ is being sent?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The online portal does have it's purpose. Not all information is mailed out. If you supplied your email then your AOR and status update to "in process" will only show on ecas. Also sometimes ecas is updated before you receive mail now as it is updated daily.
And yes it will say that certain information was mailed out so that in case you don't receive it you can inquire about it.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Sometimes notifications are mail-out and sometimes are sent by email(if you have mentioned your email address in the application)

The online portal usually provides some information but not detailed information. Sometimes online portal does not update timely.

Don't fully rely on e-cas as it may not update properly . What I have observed in this forum for people in the past that for few people e-cas updated on time and for some people it did not.

All you need to do is to actively monitor your email and physical mailbox along with ecas all the time after you apply for citizenship.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sherry1123 said:
So essentially the online portal is useless? Does it even notify that a physical mail was sent/ is being sent?

In my experience,the online portal (eCas) have been very helpful....that's where I found out my oath letter was sent out,but unfortunately my oath letter wasn't able to get to me on time....so I called IRCC and they sum up what I should do. Ecas is a faster way of updating your application status. And yes,it will tell you if the more important letters (test and oath) are sent.

smithadeyemi

Aug 31, 2016
Please, my question is am planning on relocating from my country to Canada, how do i get started?What is the first thing for me to do?

Hoping for a response.

Thank you.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
smithadeyemi said:
Please, my question is am planning on relocating from my country to Canada, how do i get started?What is the first thing for me to do?

Hoping for a response.

Thank you.
Check whether or not you qualify first: http://www.cic.gc.ca/englIsh/immigrate/index.asp

smithadeyemi

Aug 31, 2016
Thank you for your response,Also i have viewed the link, but would i know if am qualified to apply? Thank you in anticipation to your response.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smithadeyemi said:

Hoping for a response.

Thank you.
Are you already a permanent resident of Canada? Or do you have no immigration status in Canada yet?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
smithadeyemi said:
Thank you for your response,Also i have viewed the link, but would i know if am qualified to apply? Thank you in anticipation to your response.
There is a lot of information provided on that website. Have a look, it is all there. It is not rocket science, check eligibility and you get an idea. If you have no time or desire to inform yourself, there are immigration lawyers that will gladly take your money.