+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Physical Calculator - Travels while outside Canada

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
Hi All,

I preparing my citizenship application and while filling in the physical calculator, I noticed that they do not account the day of departure and arrival from/to Canada as absent days..

My situation is the following: During my vacation back in my home country, I travelled to another country for 1 week, then I came back to Canada.

Do you know how I can account for both travels?

For example, if I left Canada On june 1st, then I travelled on June 7th to a different country and came back on June 14th, then came back to Canada on June 20.

Do I do include 3 entries:
June 1 to June 7
June 7 to June 14
June 14 to June 20?

or I include only one entry
June 1 to June 20?

The reason I am asking is that the # of absent days are different because the 3 entries does not account June 7th and June 14th as absent.. so any suggestions?

Thank you all
Tony

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Whether you visit one country or one hundred, its still one trip unless you come back to Canada at some point.

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
links18 said:
Whether you visit one country or one hundred, its still one trip unless you come back to Canada at some point.
Thank you links18, but they do ask about the country as well. So how do I include the second country I visited? should I only include it in the notes section?

THanks

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tonymiz said:
Thank you links18, but they do ask about the country as well. So how do I include the second country I visited? should I only include it in the notes section?

THanks
Include all your travels even ones outside of Canada, as you would probably have visas in your passport. It won't effect the residency calculator but might raise some question during your interview. As I recall, the application states 'Travel history' but doesn't specify that travel should be only from Canada to another country.

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
ambient2 said:
Include all your travels even ones outside of Canada, as you would probably have visas in your passport. It won't effect the residency calculator but might raise some question during your interview. As I recall, the application states 'Travel history' but doesn't specify that travel should be only from Canada to another country.
Thank you ambient2, but if I include 3 entries:
June 1 to June 7
June 7 to June 14
June 14 to June 20?

June 7th and June 14 are not considered as absent days in the calculator, so it will not be accurate.. However, if I include only 1 entry and in the notes, I mention my other travel, then # of absent days will be accurate..

still confused which method I should use..

Thanks

Richie888

Jun 17, 2014
you start with the main country you went to.Then, on the reason for travel part of the residency calculator, you include any other country and dates where you have been to. And give reason for those travels as well.(I believe it is explained on the residency calculator). That's what I did anyway.

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
Richie888 said:
you start with the main country you went to.Then, on the reason for travel part of the residency calculator, you include any other country and dates where you have been to. And give reason for those travels as well.(I believe it is explained on the residency calculator). That's what I did anyway.
Thank you! I will do that. It makes more sense.

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question 6M
Answer the question by checking yes or no. The following examples may help you answer the question:

Example 1

In the past four (4) years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.

Example 2

In the past four (4) years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted three (3) weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.

Example 3

In the past four (4) years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.

Example 4

In the past four (4) years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

If you checked “YES”, list the name(s) of each country(ies) in the space provided below the question.

You will be required to obtain a police certificate for each country, other than Canada, where you were present for a total of 183 days or more in the past four (4) years. See Police Certificate section in this guide in “Step 1. Gather Documents”.

If you cannot get a police certificate from a country, you must provide an explanation in the space provided below the question.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
I spent 11 months in the States at one point -- in the middle of them, I went to Germany for one week. On the Residency Calculator I only included the dates that I left and re-entered Canada, but then in the purpose of the trip, I explained that it included a one-week visit to Germany for study.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
nope said:
I spent 11 months in the States at one point -- in the middle of them, I went to Germany for one week. On the Residency Calculator I only included the dates that I left and re-entered Canada, but then in the purpose of the trip, I explained that it included a one-week visit to Germany for study.
I confirm that this is also what I did: Always treat "outside of Canada" time as a single unit, even if it includes 3 countries. Use the first country as your destination and provide all the details in the comments section.

canadakd

Oct 4, 2016
Pls help! My citizenship test is scheduled in the next 3 weeks and i just realized that on my physical presence document during my one month trip back home i forgot to include under comments or resasons that i had a side trip to a different country for a few days. It wont affect the number of days i was physically present in canada but im worried that this would affect the whole application of my family. I know that when they verify my passport on test day that they will see the stamps and will see that it was a short trip within that one month absence. Im planning to call ircc tomorrow and ask them before i even take the test as i dont want them to think during the test/interview that i was lying or intentionally omitting information. Do you think that calling them now would be the right decision? Pls advise! Thank you!

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
nope said:
Thank you nope. I submitted my application today and did what you suggested. I think it makes more sense.
Thanks everyone!!