+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Online Applications for Minors - Now OPEN

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Want to warn people that the online instructions can be incomplete or entirely misleading. I got caught out by ID requirements for the minor. These are the online instructions:

To satisfy this (i.e. 2 photo ids) I submitted passport bio page and PR card but this was returned to me. PR card can only be used if the 2nd id is from the Canadian government.

For better instructions, review the paper application guidelines:

Link to paper guidelines: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html

I've just re-submitted with passport bio page + Manitoba health insurance card (which has name and dob but no photo). It seems bonkers and PR card & passport were insufficient id, but paper health card is.
No word from them yet?

lateentrant

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
UAE
NOC Code......
As of today, minors can apply online with the following conditions:

As a minor, the minor must:

• be under 18 years of age on the day you sign the application
  • be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
  • have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as you (applying together as a family)
  • can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
  • can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds.
https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing
That's awesome! Thank you :)

rockstarcg90

Star Member
Dec 6, 2022
They complete these basic checks before sending AOR, just got that today (!), so looks like this was the right combination of IDs
That's great news! I'm curious to see how the tracker shows and the various stages. Please keep us posted here what it shows once you are able to activate the tracker.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
They complete these basic checks before sending AOR, just got that today (!), so looks like this was the right combination of IDs
That's great,
Glad to hear it, I re-submitted with the same info you provided to them. Hopefully our case officer will do the same as with yours.

EDITED to add: I reviewed the identification page of both apps we submitted. The 1st app in July had the option in the 2nd ID to select PR card. The 2nd app we submitted recently did not have that option anymore. But it still says "2 pieces of photo ID", I imagine they will get around to changing that to 1 piece of photo ID eventually.

Last edited:

gaillimh_abú

Dec 9, 2020
Manitoba
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-06-2020
That's great news! I'm curious to see how the tracker shows and the various stages. Please keep us posted here what it shows once you are able to activate the tracker.
Haven't been able to register yet. I get a "Incorrect UCI or application number. Please try again." error.

Safeperson

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Please I want to ask a question. There is a part that says to submit the pages of your passport in colours of all your travel within 5 years. What if you didn't leave Canada within that 5 years, do you still need to submit those pages? Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Please I want to ask a question. There is a part that says to submit the pages of your passport in colours of all your travel within 5 years. What if you didn't leave Canada within that 5 years, do you still need to submit those pages? Thanks
If you are submitting all pages, you have to submit blank pages too.

sudy007

Star Member
Sep 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
I just became a citizen from being a PR. I ve a 14 year old minor who is also a PR but not a canadian citizen yet, I had not applied for him a long with my application.
My question is
1. Does he automatically become a canadian citizen by virtue of me becoming a canadian citizen or do I have to apply for his citizenship.
2. If he is already a citizen, becos I became one, can I apply for his Canadian passport.
3. In the form for applying for his citizenship the section, which says about parents being out of the country somewhere in the 70s is confusing, also another place it says, dates of travel of the parent, do I have to give my whole last 5 years travel history or just the last one ?

thanks in advance

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I just became a citizen from being a PR. I ve a 14 year old minor who is also a PR but not a canadian citizen yet, I had not applied for him a long with my application.
My question is
1. Does he automatically become a canadian citizen by virtue of me becoming a canadian citizen or do I have to apply for his citizenship.
2. If he is already a citizen, becos I became one, can I apply for his Canadian passport.
3. In the form for applying for his citizenship the section, which says about parents being out of the country somewhere in the 70s is confusing, also another place it says, dates of travel of the parent, do I have to give my whole last 5 years travel history or just the last one ?

thanks in advance
You should apply for citizenship under section Minor 5(2)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/minors.html

Not sure why you did not do with your application. It would have been much simpler.

Reactions: sudy007