Citizenship Online Applications for Minors - Now OPEN

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
As of today, minors can apply online with the following conditions:

As a minor, the minor must:

• be under 18 years of age on the day you sign the application
  • be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
  • have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as you (applying together as a family)
  • can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
  • can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds.
https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019

• have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as you (applying together as a family)
  • can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
Great news! I was already looking at cheapest option to get color printouts of all pages and we have 6 passports for our family of 3 in the validity period :D

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

So in sometime paper application would be closed for good and with it the discussion which is faster or slower :D

Hamidfm92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
I mailed my wife's application with minor on 6th April and learnt about the online application for minors a week later. I was wondering if I should withdraw the mailed application and submit it online instead. Tried calling IRCC umpteen times since the morning they went on strike to ask if I can withdraw that application and submit it online. Every time they say the agents are busy and disconnect the call.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
I mailed my wife's application with minor on 6th April and learnt about the online application for minors a week later. I was wondering if I should withdraw the mailed application and submit it online instead. Tried calling IRCC umpteen times since the morning they went on strike to ask if I can withdraw that application and submit it online. Every time they say the agents are busy and disconnect the call.
At this point, it's just best to let the paper application to take its course. If the application gets returned for any reason without an AOR, you may re-apply online

samikdg

Apr 27, 2018
Thank you so much for this thread! I had found in March 2023 that since I'm applying with minor child, I can apply through only paper application. I decided to apply a little later after filing my taxes. And today as I restarted my application process, I found this thread to know that I can now apply online :)

Reactions: shiremag

gaillimh_abú

Dec 9, 2020
Manitoba
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-06-2020
Want to warn people that the online instructions can be incomplete or entirely misleading. I got caught out by ID requirements for the minor. These are the online instructions:

You must provide 2 pieces of ID. The minor's ID needs to
have their name, date of birth, photo and signature
Minor's personal identification (ID)
You must provide 2 pieces of ID. The minor's ID needs to
have their name, date of birth, photo and signature
be valid (not expired)
Exception: You can use an expired permanent resident card (PR card).
Personal ID 1
* Choose the ID you want to provide:

Biographical page (bio page) of the minor’s passport or travel document
Valid or expired permanent resident card (PR card)
To satisfy this (i.e. 2 photo ids) I submitted passport bio page and PR card but this was returned to me. PR card can only be used if the 2nd id is from the Canadian government.

For better instructions, review the paper application guidelines:
e) Photocopy of two (2) pieces of identification, one which must have a photo. Examples include:

• a copy of the biographical page of the minor’s passport or travel document can be used as one (1) piece of identification;
  • permanent resident card (PR card);
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
  • identity card issued by a provincial/territorial/federal government;
  • social services card;
  • a Canadian driver’s licence;
  • a Canadian health insurance card;
  • school identification card;
  • non-government issued identification;
  • foreign identity documents.

Link to paper guidelines: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html

I've just re-submitted with passport bio page + Manitoba health insurance card (which has name and dob but no photo). It seems bonkers and PR card & passport were insufficient id, but paper health card is.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

rockstarcg90

Star Member
Dec 6, 2022

By any chance based on information in this forum anywhere do we know the average processing time for an online minor application? @shiremag

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Want to warn people that the online instructions can be incomplete or entirely misleading. I got caught out by ID requirements for the minor. These are the online instructions:

To satisfy this (i.e. 2 photo ids) I submitted passport bio page and PR card but this was returned to me. PR card can only be used if the 2nd id is from the Canadian government.

For better instructions, review the paper application guidelines:

Link to paper guidelines: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html

I've just re-submitted with passport bio page + Manitoba health insurance card (which has name and dob but no photo). It seems bonkers and PR card & passport were insufficient id, but paper health card is.
We just had our app returned yesterday for the same reason. Do you know if that is going to work or it is a wait and see situation? Or how did you determine that will be ok, in Ontario our health card doesn't have a photo either. You are right about the bonkers part.

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
We just had our app returned yesterday for the same reason. Do you know if that is going to work or it is a wait and see situation? Or how did you determine that will be ok, in Ontario our health card doesn't have a photo either. You are right about the bonkers part.
What IDs did you submit, if you wouldn’t mind me asking?