+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Oath Ceremony-Identification Documents

adithya1991

Jan 1, 2014
hello all,

Ive been given the privilege to attend my citizenship oath ceremony this Friday at edmonton. I do have a small dilemma though. Ive noticed that they need two pieces of personal ID ,ONE OF WHICH NEEDS TO HAVE A SIGNATURE AND PHOTO ON IT. Now most people would submit their driving license or health card in this situation. All I currently possess is my passport ( it has a signature and photo) and a pr card. Besides the two, I also possess a temporary driving license issued in ontario(I lost my license recently before I got this notice), which has no photo but it has my name, details such as address and a line stating that "valid without a photo card". I also had to renew my health card which again I did before I got my oath letter, and all I have in return from the OHIP dept is a paper with my name and details (again no photo).

So my question is this, Can i just use my PR card and Passport as ID?
Thanks
Adithya

OhCanada2015

Jan 30, 2015
Take your passport, PR card, landing paper, temporary license card that has your name and signature (copy of Original license when you applied should be good as well which they would have verified during test/interview) and your health card even if expired, along with the receipt stating it is being renewed. Maybe an employee badge or school ID and Bank cards may help in your situation as well.

As long as you can explain your situation like here and have documents to support the story you should be good since you have your passport which has a photograph. Wont hurt to call CIC to double check if this is acceptable.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure they need two pieces of ID?

During the interview after my test, the guy who was talking to me told me to wait for the oath invitation.
And he told me to remember that when I show up for the ceremony, I should ONLY have the invitation
letter and my PR card. He actually stressed not to bring anything else, like a passport or the landing paper.

torontodude

Feb 11, 2015
Don't worry, I did my oath and they only asked me for the PR card, the pink letter they sent for Oath, and media release form.

They don't even bother to check other types of IDs, landing paper, passport . But bring them along just to make sure ;)

Cheers

adithya1991 said:
hello all,

Ive been given the privilege to attend my citizenship oath ceremony this Friday at edmonton. I do have a small dilemma though. Ive noticed that they need two pieces of personal ID ,ONE OF WHICH NEEDS TO HAVE A SIGNATURE AND PHOTO ON IT. Now most people would submit their driving license or health card in this situation. All I currently possess is my passport ( it has a signature and photo) and a pr card. Besides the two, I also possess a temporary driving license issued in ontario(I lost my license recently before I got this notice), which has no photo but it has my name, details such as address and a line stating that "valid without a photo card". I also had to renew my health card which again I did before I got my oath letter, and all I have in return from the OHIP dept is a paper with my name and details (again no photo).

So my question is this, Can i just use my PR card and Passport as ID?
Thanks
Adithya

Gibe

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Are there any follow-up on this one? I'm in a very similar situation.

I will have my oath ceremony in a few weeks. But I'm currently working abroad and my driver's license and Health cards have just expired. I'll be back a few days before the oath, but I will have only my (foreign) passport and PR card as not expired ID for the oath.

Do you think that might be a problem? And in case they ask for IDs should I give them the expired Ids (the notice doesn't state they still need to be valid) or my passport?

Thanks.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015

I will have my oath ceremony in a few weeks. But I'm currently working abroad and my driver's license and Health cards have just expired. I'll be back a few days before the oath, but I will have only my (foreign) passport and PR card as not expired ID for the oath.

Do you think that might be a problem? And in case they ask for IDs should I give them the expired Ids (the notice doesn't state they still need to be valid) or my passport?

Thanks.
This thread is 3 years old. You are better off creating a new one :D

Cheers!

zombiezombie

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014

Thanks.
I attended an Oath Ceremony yesterday and they only requested the PR Card and the Landing Certificate.