+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Not Moving & Indian passport Expired

DreamBig2017

Nov 24, 2017
Hello Group members,

I have 2 questions, if anyone can please answer:

1. I applied my citizenship in Aug 2022. I left for India on few months of vacation. During my vacation I received email for the test. I replied to the email saying I am outside of Canda, can I still give test (BIG MISTAKE!!!). They said yes but send us the passport pages and boarding pass etc. when you are back. I did reply with docs as requested on my return. My test status was updated but nothing else moved aince then. My friends applied suring same time they received their citizenship.
I called cic they said it’s still within the processing window so can’t do anything. Any help on how to expedite it?

2. My Indian passport has been expired. Should I renew it or just wait for the citizenship? Considering I cannot travel outside the country until I get any one of them.

tbear

Aug 12, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
London (BWJ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2014
Doc's Request.
26/08/2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application - 7.5
Med's Done....
08/09/2016
Passport Req..
13/09/2016
read the reply above carefully- "I did reply with docs as requested on my return"
I would advise you to renew your Indian passport as you might want to travel to your country for which you would need a passport to do so.

However, if you don't have any plans for travel, then you can skip renewing your Indian Passport

Reactions: DreamBig2017

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
read the reply above carefully- "I did reply with docs as requested on my return"
Yes, but your post didn't say you were still in Canada.

If you want to renew your indian passport is entirely up to you. If you have travel plans, do. If you don't, wait it out. Mine expired in may. I don't have to renounce my other citizenship as dual is accepted (but I still might, I'm on the fence about it. Leaning towards letting it go.) and I have no desire to renew it. I intend to travel on my Canadian passport for the rest of my life. I also have no travel plans as of yet.

dejected

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Hello Group members,

I have 2 questions, if anyone can please answer:

1. I applied my citizenship in Aug 2022. I left for India on few months of vacation. During my vacation I received email for the test. I replied to the email saying I am outside of Canda, can I still give test (BIG MISTAKE!!!). They said yes but send us the passport pages and boarding pass etc. when you are back. I did reply with docs as requested on my return. My test status was updated but nothing else moved aince then. My friends applied suring same time they received their citizenship.
I called cic they said it’s still within the processing window so can’t do anything. Any help on how to expedite it?

2. My Indian passport has been expired. Should I renew it or just wait for the citizenship? Considering I cannot travel outside the country until I get any one of them.
Both of your questions have self explanatory answers in it.

your application not not necessarily stuck due to the fact that you “took the test from outside”. Unless, you have a backing reason to put forth such opinion, in my understanding it is just an assumption

DreamBig2017

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, but your post didn't say you were still in Canada.

If you want to renew your indian passport is entirely up to you. If you have travel plans, do. If you don't, wait it out. Mine expired in may. I don't have to renounce my other citizenship as dual is accepted (but I still might, I'm on the fence about it. Leaning towards letting it go.) and I have no desire to renew it. I intend to travel on my Canadian passport for the rest of my life. I also have no travel plans as of yet.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I am in Canada.

DreamBig2017

Nov 24, 2017
Both of your questions have self explanatory answers in it.

your application not not necessarily stuck due to the fact that you “took the test from outside”. Unless, you have a backing reason to put forth such opinion, in my understanding it is just an assumption
Yes it’s an assumption because my friends applied the same time and they received the citizenship a month ago.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Taking the test outside Canada is a red flag for sure. But there would be some other compelling reason for the delay. Have you applied for notes? Is your background (security/criminality) in progress?

DreamBig2017

Nov 24, 2017
Taking the test outside Canada is a red flag for sure. But there would be some other compelling reason for the delay. Have you applied for notes? Is your background (security/criminality) in progress?
Background is completed
Physical presence, Prohibitions, language skill is in progress.

how to apply for notes? Will they provide reason of delay to me?

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
It’s not even a year since you submitted your application. Considering the timelines of the majority of application, you are not delayed. Hang in there. Your case will eventually progress.

As for your passport, unless you have no loved ones abroad, I recommend you get your it renewed. In case of emergencies (illness death or serious illness of a loved one abroad) , Canada is not going to expedite your citizenship application so you can visit them, because it is on you could have renewed your passport if you wanted to.